Winter Break: Expectations vs. Reality

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Ahh, winter break. We first think of it immediately after Thanksgiving break. Soon, we find ourselves day-dreaming about it as the second half of fall semester grows busier. By finals week, we are fantasizing about the very second we can leave campus and hurry home to sweet, homework-free relaxation. We all have our lists of things we want to do during this precious time off, but the expectations and realities of break rarely ever match.

Expectation: Apply to all the summer internships that interest me!

You’ve been bookmarking applications to internships that interest you throughout the semester as a means of productive procrastination, and now you finally have time to apply for that really cool paid internship in your dream industry!

Reality: Binge-watch 5+ shows on Netflix…

You forgot how addicting Netflix is when you don’t have things like essays and exams getting in the way. Plus, this show is so great! You’ll just watch one more episode…

Expectation: Enjoy some quality family time!

You haven’t spent much time with your family since the summer, so you’re looking forward to some home-cooked meals, game nights, and just all-around relaxing evenings together.

Reality: More arguments and nagging than expected…

Sure, family time is great, and you realize you missed eating meals together. But you also forgot how annoying your siblings can be, and if your parents ask you one more question about your grades, sleeping habits, and/or social life, you’ll explode.

Expectation: Finally get in some pleasure reading!

So you could never find time to read that book your friend recommended to you with the crazy heavy workload during the semester, but now you’re free. You’ll be able to read at least one book a week, maybe even more since you’ll be so excited to read about something other than the principles of microeconomics or Marxist theory.

Reality: Can’t bring self to read unless it’s required…

You try to read the book you’ve had sitting on your desk all year, but it’s slow going. You spend all break reading that measly 250-page novel because you’re so tired of reading text after text for classes.

Expectation: Catch up with friends from high school!

Yes! Finally you can see all your old friends. You’ll text during the week and hang out all weekend in your favorite spots.

Reality: Rarely leave house…

*Wake up to text from friend asking whether you’re free this Friday. Promptly return to sleep and forget about it.*

Expectation: Think of a great New Year’s Resolution that I’ll definitely follow!

Yes, last year you failed to meet your goal, and the years before that haven’t been too great either, but that’s because you didn’t put enough thought into a reasonable, beneficial resolution.

Reality: Slack off on Day 1 of 2016…

You’ll exercise daily when you get to college. Or maybe next year. Depends on how you feel.

Expectation: Order all my books in advance!

It’s two weeks before you move back in—just enough time to order the textbooks you need! You’ll start planning now so that you’ll be ahead of the game when you return to campus this spring.

Reality: It’s week two, and I’m still waiting on some books…

You ordered them! You swear! They’re just taking forever to arrive, probably because you left them waiting in your Amazon cart until you realized you’d need to start reading those books in tomorrow.

No worries! We’ve all been there. Maybe next year, you’ll actually accomplish that list of “Things You MUST Do Over Winter Break.” But if you don’t, at least you’re an experienced procrastinator who can really get things done when you need to!

Image Credit: Her Campus Brenau University, Giphy

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.