Style > Beauty

Why You Should Consider Adding Exfoliating to Your Skincare Routine

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you’re like me, your skincare routine is somewhat consistent at best, because depending on the night, you might only have time to wash your face before crawling into bed for a few precious hours of sleep. Regardless of the number of steps you currently have in your skincare routine, there’s one you may have been overlooking and should add: exfoliation.

You may be asking, why should I exfoliate? For starters, exfoliating gets rid of all of the dead skin cells that build up on the surface of your face, helping clear your complexion and even allowing other skincare products to penetrate deeper into your skin. Exfoliating 2-3 times per week is generally what’s recommended, as over-exfoliating can damage your skin in the long run. The nice thing about this, especially for students, is that it’s flexible. You can wait a few extra days and space it out according to your schedule.

A question I had when I first got my exfoliating powder was, “When the heck am I supposed to use this?” A quick Google search (that I’ll save you the trouble of performing) told me that the best time to exfoliate is after removing your makeup, if you wear it, and cleansing your face.

Now, you may be saying, “Piper, I’m sold! What products should I use to exfoliate?” The good news is that there are so many options. Exfoliating agents can be either physical or chemical, and each has its own unique properties and uses. You should also pay attention to the recommended skin type for different products. Whatever you’re looking for, you can find something that works for you! Currently, I’m happy with the results of using a physical exfoliant. I’m using Mary Kay Naturally Exfoliating Powder, which is recommended for normal to dry skin (a.k.a. me). I love it, since it exfoliates my skin like a boss, smells nice, and leaves my skin feeling soft for days after I’ve used it. 

If you’re still not convinced to start exfoliating, I can speak from experience to say that it does make a difference. After a week’s use of Mary Kay, my skin has cleared up a ridiculous amount. Granted, that may be due to a number of factors—other skincare products I’ve incorporated might be taking effect only now, my birth control might have started kicking in, and I’ve been eating more leafy greens. Who knows for sure? But I’m willing to bet that the majority of the results have been due to exfoliating. I’ve actually gotten positive comments on my skin’s appearance since I’ve started using it! 

Of course, like most things, exfoliating is not for everyone. It’s not recommended for people with very sensitive or very dry skin, as it can irritate the skin even more. One of my suitemates said, “I have sensitive skin and I find it abrasive.” Another neighbor mentioned that she had very dry skin and that when she exfoliates, “I get rid of the natural oil in my skin, and my body overcompensates and I break out.”

If you’re thinking of exfoliating, I suggest doing your research to find out if it will work for your specific skin needs and concerns. Personally, I’ve had a great experience with exfoliating, and I recommend it!

Feature, 12

Piper Diers

Kenyon '22

Piper is a writer and Campus Correspondent for the Kenyon chapter of Her Campus. She is a Senior majoring in English and Sociology originally from Maple Grove, Minnesota. In her free time, she enjoys writing, binge watching movies and TV shows, and reading.