This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I’m sure many people can agree that listening to a favorite song has helped them work through some kind of emotional struggle in their life. Music has the power to bring us through time and space. For me, playing music is the most complete assessment in understanding who I am as a person, and as an instrument (pun intended) for personal growth and development, both as a musician, of course, but also in many other facets of my life.

When I was 12, I bought a pink Johnson guitar at the Ohio State Fair for what seemed like a small fortune to spend of my own money. I struggled through Twinkle Twinkle Little Star in a group class of 15 other would-be guitarists, taught myself to play T. Swift’s infamous “Teardrops on My Guitar,” and took private lessons from a local Bluegrass band member.

My guitar, Floyd, and I have had an on again, off again relationship for the past eight years, but when I got to college, I wasted no time in joining band (as a percussionist) and taking up a new instrument — the cello.

Some days, it feels like I live in the music building. I won’t even pretend like I don’t love it. There is nothing so meditative to me as shutting myself in a practice room and practicing for hours. All around me, in their own little practice rooms, unnamed, faceless friends are practicing, too. The process of trying, failing, and trying again to play a song correctly, is methodical, at times frustrating, at other times elative, rewarding, disappointing or ultimately telling of something about your own state of mind, personality, or mood.

Playing an instrument, singing, conducting, or composing doesn’t just teach you about music and the music-making process. It helps you understand your strengths and weaknesses — not just in the physical performances of your respective musical endeavour, but also in in the performance of life. Your levels of stick-to-itiveness, dedication, and showmanship in your practice of music reflect onto your academic and professional life. It can also help you grow in those, and to become a well-rounded person in general.

Don’t play an instrument or sing? Take a note from someone who started their journey with an instrument full of subtleties and delicate sound production at the age of 19 — it’s never too late to start.

Image credits: Giphy.com

Reagan Neviska is a senior at Kenyon College where she studies Anthropology and Music. She is an active member of her coed Greek service organization, The Archon Society, as well as the president of Gospel Choir, a Her Campus Chapter Writer, and a member of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, where she plays percussion. Reagan's interests include reading, practicing and listening to music, playing with dogs (her family has four!) and watching Downton Abbey.  You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Reagaroni.