What We’re Craving This Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Every August, we pack bags so heavy even our trusty Dads can hardly lift them. We stuff sweaters, jeans, dresses, and skirts into duffels that harken right back to sleepaway camp. Our parents tell us it’s scary that we can pack so much and still have anything left at home…then we get to school and bam! A new season is upon us within weeks. Last years sweaters, while still nice, suddenly seem in desperate need of new friends. Same goes for our boots, jeans, and dresses–and omg, there is never a thing to wear on a Friday or Saturday night (though HC has you covered for that)! SO…in honor of the beginning of fall 2012, here is a round up of the quintessential fall fashion items collegiettes are coveting this October:

1. The Blouse
Obviously the blouse has near infinite iterations–but the perfect one can go from day-to-night, class-to-formal, and of course, fall-to-winter. This one is by Equipment and perfectly in line with the Oxblood trend this season.

2.  The Boot (Tall)
The tall boot is an investment piece–a fashion lover but cash-strapped college girl’s savior because the right pair truly will last you season after season. These black leather Frye boots are a timeless classic.

3. The Boot (Short)
The short boot is essential in a pinch. Pull on some skinny jeans and a pair of short boots, and you’re good to go. These beauties are by Sam Edelman.

4. The Every-Single-Day Jeans
What’s worse than a pair of jeans that look nice in the morning and somehow, come 4pm, turn into bonafide mom-jeans? These skinnies won’t do that, and they’ll match with just about everything. You can find them at Madewell.

5. The Sweater
Fall is for pumpkin pie and jumping in leaf piles and admiring our lovely campus…and sweaters. This fair isle number from J.Crew has autumn written all over it.

6. The Tee-Shirt
And since fall is all about layering, you’re gonna need the right shirt for underneath your sweater. This one is by Splendid.

7. The Fall Skirt
Tee-shirt tucked in to a fall appropriate skirt, short boots (see above), sweater tights (see below) = classic fall look. This faux-leather A-line skirt is from Nordstrom.

8. Sweater Tights
Now that the season of bare-legged pins is behind us, we’ve got to cover those legs with something cute. (Bonus: don’t stress about shaving, no one will notice anyway) ;) (Anthropologie)

What Else? How about…

(a good mug for tea, cocoa, and mulled cider, a good book to curl up with/season of your fave TV show, a big stack of magazines, some essie nail polish, and the Spotify playlist of your liking). Check out HerCampus Kenyon’s pinterest for related tips!

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!