Life > Experiences

What To Do If You Find Yourself in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This summer, while working remotely, I was lucky enough to live in Boston with one of my best friends. Being from the East Coast, I had been to Boston a few times but only for short trips, like visiting family friends and touring colleges. I was so excited to have the chance to explore and get to know such a beautiful city. It’s safe to say that I loved it. I will say though, as a girl born and raised in the suburbs and who goes to school in rural Ohio, city living was an adjustment. And given my terrible sense of direction, learning the T-system was a bit of a struggle. We made it work though! My roommate and I packed our weekends and evenings with activities, trying to fit in all we could in the short two months we were there. I’ve compiled this list of my favorite things that we did, and of the spots that you definitely have to hit up if you ever find yourself in the city. 

Go to a Red Sox Game at Fenway Stadium 

I’ve grown up around baseball. I do not come from a particularity sports oriented family, however both my parents, and both sets of my grandparents, have always been huge baseball fans. Thus, it was a must for me to go to a Red Sox game while in Boston. But, even if you aren’t that into baseball, the experience is still worth it. Fenway is such a unique stadium and being part of the rowdy crowd is a blast.

Walk around Cambridge/Harvard Square

Probably to no one’s surprise, walking around Cambridge and Harvard’s campus is also a must. The campus is stunning, especially on a beautiful summer evening. And Cambridge itself is also lovely. It’s pretty small, but still a fun little excursion. And if you’re there, make sure to stop by L.A. Burdick Handmade Chocolates. They have the best hot chocolate you will ever have. Seriously. I recommend the white hot chocolate, by the way.

Visit the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum 

In all honesty, I’m not a huge museum person, especially art museums. I tend to go through them pretty fast, quickly glancing at each piece of art and then moving on. However, when I told my grandmother I would be living in Boston for the summer, she insisted I go to the Isabella Stuart Gardner Museum. And she was right, the hype was worth it. I particularly loved the central garden of the museum, filled with beautiful plants and flowers. The building itself was also stunning, and was of course filled with amazing art. And just a public service announcement, if your name is Isabella, you get in for free!

Eat in the North End 

While crowded, and yes touristy, the North End is still a must-see. With brick buildings and cobblestone streets, the North End neighborhood is packed with both people and Italian restaurants. With a great atmosphere and even better food, it’s perfect for a night out with friends, a nice dinner with family, or a romantic date with your significant other. And if you are there, you must stop by Mike’s Pastries. The line will most definitely be out the door and down the block, but it’s worth it. 

Picnic in Boston Commons 

On a beautiful sunny day, strolling through Boston Commons park is a must, and having a picnic is even better. Grab a friend and some takeout from Chinatown (which is only a short walk away), find a spot on the grass, and you’re set!

The Boston Harborwalk 

Something I love about Boston is that it’s right on the water. If you’re looking to get away from the hustle and bustle of downtown, head to South Boston and walk along the Boston Harborwalk (which is a 43 mile park running throughout the city!). You will see at least 20 dogs, guaranteed!

Bar Hopping in Fenway

If you’re of age and looking for a fun night out, check out the Fenway area. One of the perks of Boston is how many colleges and universities are located in the city, thus filling the city with young people looking to have a good time. On any given Friday or Saturday, the bars and restaurants in Fenway are buzzing, providing a great opportunity to go out with your friends and make new ones. 

Oregon coast beach
Original photo by Grace Korthuis
Take the Ferry to Nantasket Beach

If you are in Boston for a longer period of time and want to take advantage of the New England coast without going too far or breaking the bank, riding the ferry to Nantasket beach is a must. Only $20 roundtrip, you can hop on the ferry at the aquamarine and arrive in Nantasket within 30 minutes. While there’s not much to do on the island (just off the coast of Boston), there’s a beautiful beach to swim at and delicious seafood to eat.

If you ever find yourself in Boston, I hope this list helps you make the most of this great city. Be sure to take lots of pictures and send them my way!

Gina Golden

Kenyon '22

Gina is a senior International Studies major at Kenyon College who loves traveling, talking politics and playing with her dog.