What the HCK Team is Listening To this month

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Since the beginning of time, music has been a social networking tool. It is human nature to connect—or clash—over shared favorite songs, artists, and bands. With the advent of streaming services such as Spotify and Apple Music, talking about music has grown rather competitive itself. Trying to trump someone’s taste is something most are guilty of. Still, regardless of how superior you think your musical preferences are, there is no room for shame in discovering new genres, songs, or artists. The joy of finding new music is a feeling like no other. Fortunately, the team at the Her Campus Kenyon chapter are here to satisfy your new-music needs. Check out the list below for the staff’s recommendations.

Name, pronouns: Sophie Peck (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2025

Role at HCK: Senior Editor

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: Wintering by The 1975; -h-o-u-s-e-k-e-y-z- by Field Medic; Sun Bleached Flies by Ethel Cain; Grace by Marcus Mumford

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? All of these songs are on my fall playlist. I think the 1975’s new album in particular is really fun. Field Medic has some great chill folky stuff. Ethel Cain is a recent favorite and her concept album Preacher’s Daughter is unlike anything I’ve ever listened to. Grace and the rest of the songs on Marcus Mumford’s solo album are feel-good songs and I think he has an incredible voice.

Name, pronouns: Shea Humphries (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2023

Role at HCK: Campus Correspondent / Co-President

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: Close Your Eyes by The Backseat Lovers (and their entire new album)

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? I’ve had this song on repeat whenever I’m driving around because it’s the perfect thing to blast, especially when the bridge comes. The Backseat Lovers are back and better than ever.

Name, pronouns: Brooke Fowler (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2024

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: Crystal by Stevie Nicks; Andromeda by Weyes Blood; Fade Into You by Mazzy Star

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? Even though spooky season is (arguably) over, fall is not! I love listening to these songs because they make me feel like I’m in a huge pile of leaves or sipping on some hot cider with the coziest sweater on.

Name, pronouns: Sadie Gallant (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2025

Role at HCK: Senior Editor

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: Moon Song by Phoebe Bridgers

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? This song is constantly on repeat because I can never get enough of how heartbreaking-yet-AMAZING the lyrics are. I prefer to listen to sad songs, no matter what mood I’m in, and this one is my go-to. I also find that this song is particularly great for writing; I’m a big creative writer and most of my stories have tragic or melancholic themes, so Moon Song is always a great song to listen to in the background when I need to adopt a writing mindset. 

Name, pronouns: Sophia Boyd (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2026

Role at HCK: General Writer

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: To Ramona by Bob Dylan

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? Bob Dylan, of course, is a classic. Whether or not you enjoy his harsh, twangy voice, his lyrics possess a sweet power. I recently went through a break-up with a guy who was morally my opposite. He didn’t care about politics or climate change or anything beyond his immediate reality. But he cared about me; and I thought I could redirect his attentions through love. “To Ramona” is about this difference: a boy who refuses to take a stance and a girl who occupies herself with everything but her moment. Dylan’s song to Baez reminds us to stay present with each other, to allow ourselves to love who we can.

Name, pronouns: Mia Huerta (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2025

Role at HCK: General Writer

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: Stonecatcher by Marcus Mumford ft. Phoebe Bridgers; Wolf by First Aid Kit; Drinking Song by Hayley Hendrickx

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? I’m in such a folksy mood and all the songs have such strong lyrical and musical elements that are amazing! I love the cathartic vibe of Stonecatcher and the rhythmic beat of the other two songs. Give ’em a listen and fall in love with their moody autumn vibes :)

Name, pronouns: Kavya Thaker (she/her/hers)

Class year: 2025

Role at HCK: General Writer

Songs you’ve been listening to on repeat in the last month: That Don’t Impress Me Much by Shania Twain (and also just Shania Twain’s best hits); Where The Skies Are Blue by The Lumineers; Hurricane by Bridgit Mendler

Why should someone listen to these songs or artists? What about them do you like? Shania is always a favorite and after watching her documentary I re-discovered her discography. Lumineers’ song gives me an instant serotonin boost. I heard Hurricane on TikTok and I just could not get it out of my head, plus its nostalgic!   

Discovering a new song or artist is unparalleled. I promise you, overcoming any embarrassment that accompanies the question “Hey, what song is this?” will set you free. Release your beliefs in musical superiority (or inferiority) and just listen. Here’s to discovering new music.

Ellie Greenberg is a writer, musician, and student at Kenyon College hailing from Rockville, Maryland. When she’s not scouring the internet for fairly-priced candles, you can find her listening to Joni Mitchell on repeat or playing the guitar. Keep up with Ellie on Instagram and Twitter at @elliergreenberg.