Welcome to Neverland: Is the Millennial Generation Suffering from Peter Pan Syndrome?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Many of us know the story of Peter Pan, most likely through the classic Disney animated film. For those of you who may not be familiar with the story, Peter Pan is a young boy who lives in Neverland, a world where children never grow old—physically, or mentally—and are troubled only by Captain Hook and his band of pirates. The place is a sanctuary for those who want to stay carefree and uninhibited by adult responsibilities forever.

Although the concept of Neverland probably sounds like a pretty good deal to most of us, we accept that such a fantastic place is exactly that—fantastic and imaginative, but not a place to which we can ever travel. However, there are some of us who apparently try to live out the infinite childhood of Peter Pan in our regular world. Just Google “Peter Pan Syndrome,” and various websites appear that detail the symptoms of this disorder.

Much like the namesake of the disorder, those with Peter Pan Syndrome display a desire to stay a child forever. It can manifest in many different ways, but those with the syndrome retain childlike behaviors while still physically growing older, unlike the fictional character who is able to stay youthful in all aspects. Such behaviors include displays of extreme emotions, avoidance of commitment or personal responsibilities, abusing alcohol or drugs or engaging in other unsafe behaviors, blaming failures on others (such as parents or employers), and being unwilling to work in any position other than their dream job. Those with the syndrome do not want to work up a ladder of employment in order to reach their goals, and others dabble in various hobbies or careers without becoming an expert at any of them. Additionally, many lack the drive to work even when they are not particularly motivated or excited about their task, leaving projects unfinished because they have lost interest.

It’s a trope commonly seen in movies, TV shows, and books: someone in their late twenties or early thirties who still lives with their parents, holding on to their one-in-a-million dream of becoming an actor/musician/artist/YouTube gamer/etc. It’s also a tactic commonly used by Baby Boomers and those of Generation X to take a dig at Millennials. They claim Millennials don’t want to take on any kind of responsibility, and that they just want everything to be handed to them so they can spend their time playing video games and going to music festivals. But is that really a fair assessment of the Millennial generation as a whole?

An article by Tony Khuon examines why those who accuse Millennials of being afflicted with Peter Pan syndrome may be way off the mark. First, Khuon notes that the milestones that signify adulthood have radically changed in recent years. While Generation X and those before them saw marriage and homeownership as important factors in becoming an adult, Millennials are getting married later and are more likely to rent or purchase smaller homes. Also, Millennials often would rather work internships or start their own companies than take a corporate job for which they feel no passion. Khuon also argues that since life expectancy used to be much lower, it was logical for society to expect 18 to 20-year-olds to be living the “traditional” adult lifestyle. Now that life expectancy is over 75 years old, however, it’s much more reasonable for the period of “emerging adulthood” to last longer. Perhaps that’s a good thing, too; instead of immediately moving from a time of almost no responsibilities to being completely independent, maybe Millennials will benefit from a longer period of transition where they can figure out how they want to structure their lives.

Although there are certainly people who are truly affected by Peter Pan syndrome, it is very unlikely that almost the entire Millennial generation is suffering from it. Just as generations before have worried their parents through changing traditions, the Millennials are simply interested in a different kind of life than their parents and grandparents have led. Change has consistently brought innovation and improvements to the lives of Americans, so who’s to say that these changes won’t, as well?

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4 Images: 1, 2, 3

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.