This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I’ve traveled the majority of my life and yet, I’ve never hated anything more than feeling like a tourist. Obviously, it’s inevitable—you can’t visit Washington DC without seeing the Mall or London without riding on the Eye or Cleveland without visiting the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. However, I think there’s something to be said for trying the local (or at least the more unknown) places.

So, that’s my mission, to bring the local flavor of a city to your visit (which arguably should still include all the museums and sightseeing you want). This week, I’m focusing on Dublin, Ireland, where I spent the past semester studying abroad!

Tip #1:

While there are plenty of green spaces to hang out in during sunny days in Dublin, you should definitely go to Phoenix Park! It’s a bit outside of city proper, but there’s an awesome endangered species-focused zoo, a beautiful tearoom, and there are deer that roam the park starting at dusk. It’s also currently under consideration as a UNESCO world heritage site!

Tip #2:

Are you slightly jet lagged? Or just craving a proper afternoon tea? Visit the Queen of Tarts for a cup of coffee, lovely scone with butter and jam and a charming Alice in Wonderland vibe. If you just want a quick cup of coffee, try Bewley’s Cafe on either Grafton or George’s Street—they’re the premier coffee company of Ireland since the 19th century!  

Tip #3:

If you’re staying in the suburbs of Dublin and looking to get into the heart of the city, ask the public transport drivers how to get into “town,” the endearing way Dubliners refer to their commercial center.

Tip #4:

EatYard is a wonderful collection of rotating food-trucks open Thursday to Saturday afternoons and nights. Try a bubble-waffle, Irish BBQ pulled-pork sandwiches or whatever the food of the week is!

Tip #5:

While Trinity College is an obvious tourist spot, if you visit on a weekday, try to sneak a peek into the beautiful lobby of the Geology building (near the Pomodoro Sphere). The building itself is modeled after the Venetian style, and the marble that was used comes from all over Ireland. It also features the skeletons of Irish deer—prehistoric and surprisingly giant creatures!

Tip #6:

Iveagh Gardens, which is slightly off the beaten path, is a quiet park with a beautiful waterfall and fountains. It’s a perfect place to read a book, lie in the sunshine or eat lunch on a park bench!

Tip #7:

Les Tapas de Lola is an amazing Spanish-Irish fusion tapas restaurant on Wexford St, one of the main roads in Dublin City. With a great selection of wine, friendly wait staff, and amazing Albondigas, Les Tapas is always packed to the brim, so make a reservation before attempting to eat there!

Tip #8:

The Little Museum of Dublin, right off of St. Stephen’s Green, definitely sees its fair share of tourists, but it’s totally worth a visit! Started in 2011, all 5,000 artifacts were donated from Irish people themselves and the whole place is run like a small business, with tours given every hour. If you’re interested in anything from U2 to Dublin’s 20th century newspapers, this museum has something for you!

Tip #9:

Every Saturday morning, Temple Bar Market is a perfect way to sample the best of Dublin’s food and drinks. They have everything from cheese, pastries, and whiskeys, as well as peruse homemade jewelry and clothing. Although Temple Bar is extremely touristy (don’t drink there, the prices are extravagant), this market is a cute, local way to see what can be an otherwise extremely busy place. If you can’t get your fill at the market, walk onto The Boxty House, where potatoes are served a variety of ways.

Tip #10:

Looking for a day trip? Take the train or bus up to Howth, a seaside town north of Dublin’s city center. There’s loads of pubs, vintage shops, golf courses and plenty of hiking with amazing views of the entire Dublin bay.

Tip #11:

If you’ve come to Dublin to appreciate the amazing authors that embraced the city as home, the pubs are the best place to start. The Brazen Head was a good home to James Joyce and W.B. Yeats, but Joyce also frequented The Duke, which is just off of Grafton Street, one of the main shopping districts. Yeats loved Toners Pub as well, which Bram Stoker (the author of Dracula) frequented when he was a student at Trinity College. The Duke offers a literary pub crawl most nights if you’re interested in crossing off two bucket-list items at once!

Tip #12:

37 Dawson Street and Foley’s are two of the best pubs in the national museum area—37 Dawson has a funky farm-fresh menu and an extensive cocktail list, while Foley’s is a more traditional but has excellent pub fare, with live music most nights of the week. Foley’s isn’t large, so make sure to call ahead before bringing a large party!

Tip #13:

If you’re doing Dublin on a budget, try Dave’s Wood-Fire Pizza Co in the St. George’s Arcade—they offer a pizza, sweet potato fries, and a drink for only 10 euro! The entire restaurant smells like a campfire and it’s quite homey—the only drawback is that there’s isn’t a ton of seating, so it’s not great for large groups.

Tip #14:

Although hidden behind Dublin Castle, the Chester Beatty Library houses an astounding collection of some of the earliest writing known to man, including the oldest known copies of the Bible. There’s also a large collection of Islamic texts, Japanese paintings, and bookbinding techniques. The best part of all—the library entrance is free!

Tip #15:

If you’re looking for hip trendy pubs, head a little farther out into Ballsbridge, Portobello or Rathmines, where the students live. In Rathmines, there’s a great pub named Blackbird, with dripping red candles and board games galore, while in Portobello, the Bernard Shaw is a quirky building with a variety of beers and great pizza!

Tip #16:

Above all, make sure to walk down every side street, and always stop to look up. My favorite area of the city was surrounding Wicklow Street and George’s Street, near-ish Trinity College, with tons of little shops, restaurants, and cafes. But, it’s easy to find a favorite spot in Dublin, and I would encourage you to find your own!

Image Credit: Feature,1, 2, 3, Regan Hewitt

English major, History minor, Diet Coke addict // senior at Kenyon College // Memphis native // please contact hewittr@kenyon.edu for resume & full portfolio 
Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.