mental health phone app?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mental health phone app?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration in Canva for Her Campus Media

The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Memes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I am a lot of things. I am a writer, an actress, a student, and a fan of various things. One of the first things I ever was, and continue to be, is a sister. I have two sisters: Anna, who is about five years older than me, and Caroline, my twin. They are my best friends and the people in this world I feel most comfortable around. But now we live apart.

Chalmers inside
Original photo by Jordan Hemmerdinger

I spend my days in Gambier, Ohio studying and making theatre. I’m a busy bee here: I go from class, to studying with friends, to making props in the scene shop, to rehearsal. I go out with my friends almost every weekend and love to host movie nights in my apartment. I’m always reading or writing or rehearsing for my English and Drama double majors, and I work for my school’s Office of Communications. I serve on a theatre board and I write for Her Campus, too, of course. It’s never a dull moment!

Caroline is on track to graduate early from The Ohio State University. She spends her days working hard in social work classes, spending time with friends, and reading. She likes to end her long days watching Law and Order: SVU, one of our favorite shows. She recently transferred to OSU and has done a wonderful job of adjusting to a new (and much bigger) school.

Anna works a corporate job in Chicago. She takes the L downtown for work, frequently treats herself to coffee, cooks herself wonderful dinners, and plays “movie roulette” with her friends. She also has one of those fake geese that old people dress up and put on their porches. His name is Gilbert. She recently picked up reading again, too, and always updates me on her latest reads.

It’s safe to say that the three of us lead very different yet equally busy lives. It can be hard to coordinate video chats and we only see each other so often; I haven’t seen them since Winter Break and I won’t again for nearly a month. It’s really hard to stay in touch between visits. So, over break, when all three of us shared a small bedroom in our parents’ house, we made a shared folder of photos on the Photos app. Anything goofy or hilarious or random went in the folder. A creepy toy from our childhood? Folder. A photo of a cat crying? Folder. A clip from Spongebob? Folder! It sounds silly, but this folder of photos, that would be meaningless to anybody else, keeps us together. We are miles apart, but whenever one of us posts a photo, we laugh and we think of each other. Every time I see something they would like, I upload it to our little database. Caroline loves screenshots of cartoons we watched as kids. Anna is our resident animal meme curator, compiling the funniest photos of cats and dogs that the internet has to offer.

When I’m in long rehearsals or class and I get that notification that one of my sisters has added a meme, I’m reminded of my support system. And, of course, I laugh. Sometimes too much. Who knew a picture of a dog screaming into a pillow could be both so hilarious and so heartfelt?

Ellie Kahle

Kenyon '25

Ellie Kahle is a Libra from Columbus, OH with something to say and a song in her heart. Her interests include Tik Tok, pop culture, reading, drag, theatre, and being gluten-free (by chance, not by choice). She has also invested an astronomical amount of money and time in The Sims. She is an English and Drama double major.