Springtime Accessories You Can Incorporate NOW…In Spite of Brisk Weather

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Spring has sprung in Gambier—allegedly. The flowers have bloomed and the sun has finally made an extended appearance, yet the temperature refuses to move above fifty degrees. We’ve all caught spring fever, so what’s a good way to dress for the season without shivering during that long walk to Peirce?

Brighten up your wardrobe with springtime accessories!

Scarves – Scarves can be worn in almost any season, but the trick to wearing them in the springtime is to keep the materials light and the colors bright. Silk and linen are easy, airy fabrics that can be layered on top of dresses or cardigans. Floral and other bright prints can effortlessly perk up your mood and your outfit, while still allowing you to bundle up against the brisk wind.

scarves: top, J.crew, bottom, Ann Taylor

Bags – Everyone needs to use a bag to carry all their notebooks, so why not make it one with springtime flair? When I was in high school I had a bag I would use for the first half of the year and another, a bright green patent leather bag, I would put into use as soon as Spring Break was over. I still try to do that, and recently swapped out my go-to brown/muted green bag for that pistachio-colored Asos bag that I’ve had my eye on for a while. Now that it’s April, the pastel color is appropriate—even if I’m still using it to store my gloves during class.

Bag: Michael Kors

Earrings – Earrings have the ability to steal the focus of an outfit or to quietly sit back and allow for other pieces to speak. They are a great way to add bursts of color, or to transform a black sweater dress and boots into a springtime look.

Earrings: top, Paisley Pear Earrings, Roberta Chiarella, bottom, Swarovski Drop Earrings, Bella Accessories

Nail polish – Many brands put out spring nail polish lines featuring pastels and other fun colors. Estee Lauder has released a collection based on flowers that bloom in Paris in the spring, and honestly, I was sold before I even saw the colors—imagining Paris in the spring is all I need to be ready for the season. If you’re feeling a little more creative or adventurous, there are many nail polishes with surprising and chic effects, such as the feathers line of nail polish from Nails Inc. London.  According to Nails Inc., the polish contains “feather-like particles,” which give your nails a quilled appearance. It comes in color combinations like pastel peach and white or teal and yellow, which are subtle enough to allow for the pattern to take the spotlight.

Sunglasses – It’s finally sunny enough to wear sunglasses, so break out your frames the next time you trek to the BFEC…or walk down Middle Path. Even if you still have to wear your sweatshirt to shield the wind, you can embrace the season with colorful sunglasses. There are countless options for low-budget, high-quality sunglasses out there, so there’s no excuse not to carry a pair with you whenever you leave your room! Some trends that designers focused on for this season include: round frames, embellished frames, florals, stripes, and colored lenses. The sunglasses pictured here, which invoke the trends of the season, are all from Urban Outfitters and range from fourteen to eighteen dollars—totally affordable and can be mailed right to your PO Box.

Don’t let the cold weather get you down—focus on those slowly sprouting flowers on Middle Path and the blue sky above you, and leap into spring with these accessories that will keep you warm and seasonable.

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!