In Short, You Really Need to Watch Marvel’s ‘Jessica Jones’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I’m a sucker for superhero stories. I am especially a sucker for well-developed, engaging, thought-provoking superhero stories. When Netflix released Daredevil, the story of a blind vigilante defending New York City’s own Hell’s Kitchen from corruption and twisted villains, I was enthralled. A few months ago, I heard that Netflix was doing another superhero show, this time centering on a woman, and I could barely wait for Thanksgiving break when it was released. Thus, I was introduced to the incredible show that is Jessica Jones.

For those that are unfamiliar with Jessica Jones, here’s is a quick summary of the premise. The story centers around a moody, short-tempered private investigator with alcohol problems and a dark, tangled past. She has super strength a small support network including her adoptive sister and best friend, Trish, and another “gifted” individual whose skin is completely indestructible, Nick Cage (who will actually get his own show down the road, too!). When somebody from Jessica’s past named Kilgrave, a man with the ability to control minds, steps back into her life, things get complicated.

So why is this show all that, you might ask?

Well, first of all, superheroes are all the rage right now, but I can count on one hand how many popular superhero stories feature women in the lead. Marvel has been taking steps, with its first female-led show on ABC, Agent Carter (also highly recommended!), and DC quickly followed suit with Supergirl on CBS (and, to be honest, I have not yet gotten the chance to check it out). Meanwhile, superheroes like Iron Man, Thor, Batman, and Captain America are not only getting multiple major motion pictures, but also countless forms of merchandise for fans. It’s clear the superhero genre is not being catered toward women in any sense, and that is why such well-done shows like Jessica Jones are so important.

Another reason to love this show? Jessica Jones is, quite literally, smashing gender roles with her super strength (pardon the pun). When you hear a superhero having super strength you think about Superman, Mr. Incredible, or the Hulk. You think big muscles and an aggressive attitude. You don’t think of a woman because being strong is a stereotypically masculine ideal. Jessica Jones uses her powers without being questioned, belittled, or limited by the people around her. Even Kilgrave, the villain, admires and values Jessica for her strength.

Which brings me to another point. As I was going through the show for the first time and reading fan analysis and articles about it, I was blown away by the complexity of Jessica’s struggle with Kilgrave. They have a tangled history in which Kilgrave controlled Jessica, not only forcing her to be in a relationship with him but also committing some scarring acts that lead Jessica to suffer from post traumatic stress disorder (and subsequently alcoholism). Not once does this show shy away from how despicable Kilgrave is for forcing Jessica to do these things, or from calling him a rapist. He is never portrayed as anything less than what he is, and it never forgives him or shows him as a sympathetic character. And furthermore, while lesser shows might minimize Jessica’s experience, this show shows exactly how damaged and pained she is by her past with Kilgrave. Her experience is never devalued and she is never blamed for being the victim. Kilgrave represents every abusive relationship. He is every partner that manipulates and exerts control over their significant other, and that’s a powerful message for a superhero show to project.

On top of that, there are strong female friendships! Jessica’s most significant relationship in the show is not with a male love interest, but with Trish Walker, her best friend and adopted sister. They unconditionally love and support each other, and don’t fall into any catty or flat female stereotypes. Also, Jessica Jones is a show that regularly passes the Bechdel Test (two female characters in the show have a conversation about anything other than a man) as well as failing the reverse Bechdel Test (two male characters ever have a conversation about anything other than a woman). Shows that accomplish this are few and far between, which shows how important female representation is in television these days. 

And along with all of these great things, this show excels at the representation of not only gender, but also of race and sexuality. There is a major plotline about queer women that does not sexualize or reduce them to their sexuality. There is no token POC character, but rather a diverse cast in which each character is developed and multi-faceted beyond their race, gender, or sexuality. For a show that takes place in New York City, Jessica Jones does a good job of representing the diversity that the setting and the story call for.

Basically, I can’t say enough good things about Jessica Jones. Addressing abusive relationships, breaking down gender roles, solid representation, and superheroes—this show has it all. Now I’m anxiously waiting for the announcement of season 2, and I’m hoping that I’ve convinced at least a few of you to give Jessica Jones a try.

Image Credit: Screen Rant, Today Tonic, Marvel, Voice of TV

Annie is a sophomore at Kenyon College where she is majoring in English/Creative Writing and minoring in Anthropology. She is in a committed relationship with her Netflix account and is determined to pet at least one dog every day. She loves cult TV shows, the great outdoors, and peanut butter.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.