Sarah Sklar (’19) Is the Light of My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Sarah Sklar

Hometown: Syosset, Long Island, NY

Major: Studio Art

Year: 2019

Sarah, you’re the light of my life, and I love you. What do you love most about Kenyon?

Oh, god. Peirce food. *Laughs*

Just how that if you’re in a certain major you get exposed to so many different things. I came here thinking I would be an English major and I had this whole plan to be an associate for the Kenyon Review, and instead I’m a Studio Art and Psych major.

You live on Long Island. What’s your favorite thing about New York?

I hang out in Brooklyn a lot. Well, actually, I should preface that by saying I love living somewhere with all four seasons, and I love being a half hour train ride from Manhattan and a half hour car ride from the beach. My favorite place is called the Brooklyn Art Library—don’t be deceived, it’s not a real library. It’s basically a public collection of sketchbooks made from people who live all over the world, and you can go in and look through what everyone else has written. And also they have a dog librarian.

What is your favorite thing about being a studio art major?

I think it’s that I didn’t expect to have the resources that I do here. Art was kind of the thing I always did when I was little, and I’d tell everyone I wanted to be an artist in elementary school…when I came into college…I realized it was the thing I was good at and I wanted to pursue it. Also, Horvitz basically serves as my second home. (*Author’s Note: We watched a christmas movie together in Horvitz last week and it was rad.*)

What is the key to happiness?

Good company. Good food doesn’t hurt, either.

What is your favorite thing about the weekend?

Sleep.

Beach or mountains?

Both!

What’s your favorite book and why?

I have a few. To Kill a Mockingbird will always be one of my favorites, Great Expectations, and Tender is the Night. My favorite play is The Importance of Being Earnest. Harry Potter books too, of course!

In a perfect world, you would be…..?

I would be decisive…I really can’t answer this question!

Why did the chicken cross the road?

Probably because there was food on the other side.

I LOVE YOU SO MUCH OK?

I say join the fanclub.

Thank you, Sarah!

Image Credit: Sarah Sklar

Lindy is a current senior at Kenyon college majoring in Anthropology and Art History. She enjoys travel, books, cinema, art, food, and Scottish Whisky. Someday she hopes to travel around the world with a corgi named Max.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.