Reasons to Still Watch ‘Halloweentown’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Disney Channel original movies are famous in our generation for their ingenuity, style, and promise of greatness. The DCOM genre includes iconic films such as Life Size, Read It and Weep, and, of course, High School Musical have been cherished and beloved by their audience. The story arcs assure satisfaction. I would argue, however, that there has not been a saga that has touched the seasonal hearts of my age group quite like that of Halloweentown.

The story of Marnie Piper is not that of a usual witch. Her legacy comes from Halloweentown, a prosperous, magical suburb adjacent to our own world. In Halloweentown, witches and warlocks are common place, skelton’s drive taxis, and it isn’t unusual to be approached by a goblin. It’s a halloween loving kid’s paradise and there are pumpkins bigger than houses. Candy corn is on every corner. However, there is corruption and evil within Halloweentown, as there tends to be in any state, but the Pipers do their best to restore honor and fairness to the mystical land that they call their true home.

When I was younger, I used to plan Halloween costumes by August. October was a month worth all of its excitement and pumpkin carving was a family of five affair. The 31st itself was a day of intense anticipation that never quite panned out the way I wished, but candy trading at night and the inevitable feeling of victory made it worth it. Eventually, there was the first Halloween when my one of my sisters couldn’t come home from college to see my costume. Then, both sisters were gone and we forget to get a pumpkin. Girls I had been pajama princesses with started dressing like cats instead of M&M’s, and approaching strangers doors became just a little weirder than it used to be.

Like the Pipers, I am living in a world that doesn’t remember why we love Halloween. To me, these movies are reminders of what we used to so simply enjoy.

Admittedly, Halloweentown doesn’t have much to offer a critic. We, my friends, are not critics. We are college students trudging our way through the middle of the semester and we are looking for ourselves, our futures, and a way to get through the next 48 hours without sleep. Halloweentown doesn’t have to offer quality; that’s not it’s purpose. We should be watching terrible Disney Channel movies about witches not for their artistic merit, but for their fun. In truth, we should be doing more things just for their fun.

The trend of self care isn’t one to be overlooked or made fun of. If doing yoga and drinking smoothies makes me “too trendy,” then so be it. I don’t need to be criticized for taking care of my body. And if watching Halloweentown High takes care of my mind, then there is no judgement that I care to listen to.

So this October, I have an assignment for all of you. Take care of yourself and watch a stupid movie. Watch Marnie Piper battle the forces of evil instead of waging war against yourself. Cheer as she wins and cry as she falls. What could be more easily pleasant than that.

Image Credit: YouTube, The Allure of Books, IMDB

Lily is junior English major at Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio. She comes from Rockland Country, NY, and loves being a writer and Marketing Director for Kenyon's chapter of Her Campus. When she's not shopping for children's size shoes (she fits in a 3), she's watching action movies, reading Jane Austen, or trying to learn how to meditate. At Kenyon, Lily is also an associate at the Kenyon Review and a DJ at the radio station. 
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.