Pretty in Pins: The Story of My Button Jacket

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

When it comes to fashion, I consider myself a minimalist. I wear a lot of neutrals, and I consider most of my clothing to be beautiful, but simple—with the exception of my button jacket. My button jacket is a denim jacket my mother gave to me, adorned in pins and buttons I’ve collected over the years. I wear it at least four times a week, and it starts a conversation every time I wear it. I thought I’d talk about some of my pins and what they mean to me, since people ask about them so often. Enjoy!

The Heinz Pickle

The Heinz pickle on the top-right of my jacket is hands-down my favorite pin. I am a pickle fanatic: I have always loved pickles, I will always love pickles, and I could eat pickles all day every day (ask my roommates). Like many of my pins, this one was a gift, which makes it extra special. When people ask about it, I love to tell them that it is a souvenir from the Heinz Museum in Pittsburgh.

“Give Back the Jacket 2016”

This button was given to me by a friend who’s jacket went “missing.” Read all about it here.

Frida Kahlo

Frida Kahlo is my idol, and I enjoy wearing her face every day. I got this pin at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery in Buffalo, where I’m from, which makes it special since the Kahlo’s we have there are some of my favorite paintings.

The Archon Society

I received this pin when I became a full member of The Archon Society, and I think it is quite snazzy and adds a touch of “frat bro” to an otherwise tame jacket.

Poem-In-Your-Pocket Day

I have two buttons from the Kenyon Review’s celebration of Poem-In-Your-Pocket Day, one of which I got and another gifted to me. Like my “I Read Today” button and several others on this jacket, it adds a touch of nerdiness. I enjoy being able to share my interests with others without ever needing to open my mouth.

“I Read Today,” Razor Girl, and The Book Thief

All three of these are from a bookstore near my house called Talking Leaves, and they’re among my favorite pins. “I Read Today” is great because it’s always true, Razor Girl I haven’t read yet but plan to (it’s also a very bright button), and The Book Thief is a favorite of my mom’s—I truthfully never finished it, but I will some day, and I love having a button that reminds me of my super-cool mom.

The Gund Gallery

I have two pins from the Gund Gallery, one of the infamous Rosse Hall sculpture and another that says “Ask me about the art,” which made its way out of the Gallery on my nametag and has been relocated to my jacket. I appreciate these buttons because they add some art appreciation to my otherwise literature-centric jacket. I also have a few other art pins that are recent additions, such as my “I Dig Degas” buttons.

“Free Range Dream Boat,” “I’m Ticklish,” and “Obey Library Rules”

These ones were also gifts, and I love them because they summarize my personality quite well. Chatty library-goers peeve me like nothing else, I’m extremely ticklish, and I’m not sure exactly what a “free range dream boat” is but I’m still pretty sure I am one.

The Vintage Broaches

These babies are from the flea market near my house. Every jacket needs a little bling, right?

The best part about the button jacket is that it’s always growing, and the story keeps getting longer. I’m constantly picking a new favorite pin, and these ones are constantly in the cycle. Do you have any favorite pins? Let me know in the comments!

Image credits: Hannah Anain

Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.