This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

When I told my dad that I was taking a Psychology of Women class, he laughed and remarked that the Psychology of Men class would probably be an easy A. I didn’t yet realize how wrong that he was.

There’s a well-known stereotypes of what Women and Gender Studies classes are, such as a bunch of girls declaring their hatred of the male gender. I hate to admit it, but I definitely entered my first class with low expectations.Why? I am a girl. I’ve been catcalled, I’ve experienced the double standard, and I’ve been humiliated due to sexist dress codes. Unfortunately, like many people, I built my concept of feminism around my own identity. Consequently, taking this class completely changed my perceptions.

Women and Gender Studies classes are essential in that they provide an environment that encourages and supports communication regarding inequalities in society that not every individual may experience. While some issues are widespread, or perhaps mainstream, it is impossible for every individual to understand every issue fully. For example, as a white lady, I may fail to truly comprehend obstacles that women of color face because of my privilege. However, these sorts of classes allow discussion concerning intersectionality.  

Class discussions on topics such as these highlight the importance of attempting to understand those who are different from us. Often times, our society allows for people of privilege to define the experience of others; consequently, the white male voice shapes society and one’s personal experience, while quieting the voices of others. These sorts of classes don’t silence the male voice; rather, they raise the voices of others in order to create equal dialogue and visibility.Another argument in support of Women and Gender Studies classes is that it destroys the taboo surrounding discourse about sexuality. Psychologically, the more one is shunned from exploring something, the more they will rebel. We see it with alcohol—insufficient teaching about safe drinking leads to unhealthy drinking practices later in life. In a similar manner, simply proclaiming abstinence as the entirety of one’s sexual education leads to misguided and dangerous perceptions about sex and gender.

Pushing the limits and shedding light on concepts such as safe sex, double standards, and sexual assault can be uncomfortable; however, the exposure can grant younger people with the tools to target problems in society and attempt to fix them.Thirdly, I often found discomfort in wanting to discuss certain topics, such as gender or race, because I worry that I don’t have the proper terminology or knowledge of a topic to discuss it. However, these classes create a supportive environment that corrects wrongs or misconceptions without condescension. While I don’t agree with the fundamental opinions of groups such as “meninists” or “his campus,” I do understand how often times the liberal or progressive opinion shames those who may simply not understand.

Insulting those who don’t know better rather than providing an alternative perspective ultimately discourages a large section of society from actually taking the time to see things from another person’s point of view. When we call those who don’t understand “they” pronouns as ignorant, or people from rural areas “rednecks,” we undermine their ability to learn.Essentially, this class opened my eyes to the realization that there is so much to learn. Moreover, that educating myself on issues that may not directly affect my everyday life helps me to understand what needs fixing in our society. Because of my privilege and my exclusive situation of my identity, I have to take the time to learn about others. Without open communication and teaching, our society will continue to spout ignorance and maintain inequality.  

I have truly loved the experience of taking Psychology of Women, and I urge people of all gender, racial, religious, and cultural identities to take classes that may challenge their concepts of their own identity, and those of “other” groups. While sometimes diversity can cause us to see others as alien and confusing, classes such as these begin to break down the unknown and make it comprehensible.

Image Credit: Feature, 1, 2, 3, 4