This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

There are many things in this world that I find don’t make much sense. Economics, guys who pull their Nike socks above perfectly good sweatpants and cursive being taught in elementary schools. However, there is one concept that no matter how hard I try, I cannot seem to comprehend: “one size fits all” clothing. Although there are multiple corporations that only sell clothing in a singular size, there is one company that is the top Google search for this topic. You may be familiar with the brand notorious for such products, none other than Brandy Melville. I have had my fair share of beef with Ms. Melville. I don’t mean to hate on their clothes or their brand. They make really cute clothes. I’m sure their tube tops make some toddlers very happy. However, being in the double digits for pant sizes and not remembering the last time I wore an “S” on the tag of my shirt, I can’t help but pose the question “Why?” Is it cheaper to produce one size? Are they making a comment on “ideal” body types? So I did some research. 

Brandy Melville produces clothes for a traditional size 0/XS/S, in all their products. The average pant size for girls ages 13-19 is a size 12, A.K.A. a LARGE. Brandy Melville makes it very clear who their audience is, and they cater to that specific group very well. Brandy Melville is the dream store of a petite, white, financially stable teenager. Their marketing ads are filled with tall, thin, primarily white women and they sell small pieces of clothing at higher prices. When asked about their marketing, Brandy Mellville has remained pretty much silent, saying that “one size fits most, not everyone.” According to PopSugar magazine, they claim they cater to “mostly” everyone and those that cannot browse their teeny tops and tight jeans can find a bag or earrings that they might like. Even after continuous backlash, nothing about their brand has changed. 

Well, I did even more research. And guess who started Brandy Melville? None other than a MAN! An Italian man and his son brought this company to the United States. At first, I was a bit confused; however, it eventually began to make sense to me. First, the genetic makeup and body type of European women compared to American women is fundamentally different. Our body types and lifestyles are not the same. Not to say we can’t wear the same clothes, but we all have different measurements. Second, no one told me a dude started this form of torture. My first thought was, maybe he did not really know how women’s sizes worked. But this guy has opened up many clothing stores in Italy—he is a smart man. This particular brand is actually extremely popular in the United States, now more than ever. Sales grow 25% each year and they are rolling in dough.

However, if we all agree that “one size does not fit all,” then why isn’t a Brandy Melville tag on the collar of everyone’s shirts? Well, luckily I took a Cultural Anthropology course and we did a unit on consumerism! Brandy Melville is really good at marketing. It is not so much about the clothes, but rather the ideas that they are selling. Browsing Brandy Melville’s Instagram, there are pictures filled with young, thin women in everyday settings. These are not Prada or Gucci models, rather they appear to be regular girls going to class or coffee shops, just like the rest of us… Besides the fact that they happen to be gorgeous models. When young people see clothing that is trendy, yet semi-affordable with models that look like them, it is no wonder that people adore this store.

Brandy Melville incorporates another idea that young people love: exclusivity. There is something exciting about being in a demographic of people that can actually purchase and wear Brandy Melville clothes. One size limits a large portion of the population, and it’s completely purposeful. Their advertisements are rooted in suiting the “perfect look” and the “perfect body,” so much so, that they actually encourage those of an “attractive” caliber to come and indulge in their products. Messed up, right? While I do happen to be extremely biased, as I am an outsider looking in, it is hard not to question the exclusivity of a brand. Fashion should encourage women to feel great about themselves and their bodies. The last thing anyone wants is to see the shirt of their dreams, just to be heartbroken by the tag. Whether you can’t get enough of that “California” graphic tee from Brandy or refuse to even step in a store, we can all agree on one thing: one size does not fit all.

Feature, 1, 2