From Ohio to California: A Playlist for Airports and Travel

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Although finals don’t start until next week, I can’t stop thinking ahead (past all of the papers and tests I have) to when I head home for winter break. Until Thanksgiving, I had never been in an airport by myself. Naturally, with a duo of two-hour layovers, I had a lot of time to think, and in that time, I put together this playlist that somewhat narrates the commonplace occurrences I tend to encounter while I’m traveling.  

1.  The Day Before You Leave:  “One Day More” from Les Misérables
I don’t think this song needs an explanation, especially when Aaron Tveit is involved.

2.  Saying Goodbye to Your Friends:  “2 Atoms in a Molecule” by Noah and the Whale
As much you put it off, it’s time to head out of Gambier to the big city. My friends are one of the many reasons I love Kenyon. So even though I want to go home, saying goodbye is one of the worst times for me and maybe that’s why “I always come undone.”

3.  Waiting for the Shuttle:  “I Will Wait” by Mumford and Sons
I’m not saying I want to wait. But I will wait because I have to. How else am I going to get from Kenyon to Columbus?

4. Intercom “Reminder” #15 After An Hour in the Airport:  “Tell Me Something I Don’t Know” by Selena Gomez
I know there is no smoking allowed. I know not to ask a stranger to watch my luggage. I know that flight whatever is boarding for Las Vegas. Thanks for reminding me twenty-five times during this two-hour layover.

5. Tripping on a Stranger’s Luggage When Going to Board:  “Be OK” – Ingrid Michaelson
I don’t know what it is about being in an airport by myself, but I become the world’s largest klutz when I’m on my own. But it’s okay. People may glare at you, but they also may not notice at all. Just keep your composure and remember: you’re going home.

6. Your Seat is Being Kicked, An Infant is Crying Nearby, The Stranger Next to You Stole the Armrest When You Went to the Bathroom, etc.:  “This Year” by The Mountain Goats
Because I am gonna make it. Through this flight. If it kills me.

7. Being Jarred Out of The Inevitable In-Flight Nap:  “Wake Me Up” by Avicii
You don’t know why, but you’ve been pulled out of sleep. Plus, you’re past the point of no return where there’s no reason to go back to sleep because now you are now wide awake. Sigh.

8. Halfway Through the Multi-Hour Flight:  “Are We There Yet” by Ingrid Michaelson
I’ve never been abroad, so to me, 4 and a half hours makes for a long flight. After Song #7, I still have two hours with which to entertain myself. Thoughts that come to mind include wishing I could Apparate and daydreaming about writing.

9. “We are beginning our final descent into (location)”: “I Believe” from Spring Awakening or Book of Mormon (whichever better satisfies your musical theater heart)
Because I believe in you, Southwest pilots, to give us a nice, smooth landing onto the runway, and also to throw in a wondrous, snarky commentary about the weather and the people not listening to you over the intercom right now.

10. Landing at Your Home Destination: “Big Parade” by the Lumineers
Finally landing at John Wayne Airport is the first sign to me that I’m home, an occasion I think is worthy of a big parade.

11. Finally Leaving the Airport: “A Hard Day’s Night” by The Beatles
I’m from Orange County, California. While it’s definitely worth it to be at Kenyon, the amount of traveling in one day in order to get to and from campus is ridiculous for me. When I finally get to leave the world of airports and go home – whether that’s home in the OC or back to my dorm once I return – it is the most relaxing moment of the day.

12. Collapsing on Your Bed at Home: “Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Because, “Home is wherever I’m with you.”

Happy travels, everyone! 

[Photo Sources: helenwellsagency.comthisisagoodsign.comblog.al.com,howstuffworks.comwers.org and rootsandgroove.wordpress.com]

California girl transported to the glory of the Midwest. Art History major, English minor. Proud nerd and Girl Scout. Blogger. Gund Gallery Associate. Class of 2017, loving every minute of exploring Gambier, Kenyon and myself to find what the future has in store.
Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.