This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Every New Year, my resolution is to read more. I love reading, but every year I fail to make my goal no matter how much I try. This year, I thought that if I wrote a review for every book I read and then publicly shared it, maybe I would be more motivated to make sure I’m reading every day and reaching my goals. I want to read a minimum of two books a month, and I have a stretch goal of four books a month.

This summer, I finally had the chance to read! Or, so I thought. The first month of summer was spent catching up on my ever-growing reading list, but once I started my summer job, my reading started to slow down. I was still pretty grateful for the extra time I got to spend reading that was not deterred by class and homework. Here are my summer reading reviews!

May

The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America, by Erik Larson

Larson tells the incredible true story of the events that surrounded the 1893 Chicago World’s Fair. The book is divided into separate chapters following two men, Daniel H. Burnham the architect responsible for the fair and H.H. Holmes a serial killer who posed as a hotel manager, luring in unsuspecting World Fair travelers, only to be then murdered. 

This book is very intriguing, especially if you love history because it is completely historically accurate. Although the events of the story may at times see fantastical The Devil in the White City, is not a historical fiction. Larson does an amazing job at painting a picture at what Chicago looks like at the turn of the century. His work is incredibly interesting and leaves the reader constantly wanting to read on. At times this book made me think of In Cold Blood, both in writing styles and in topic. If you enjoyed In Cold Blood, a history lover, or just want an intriguing story this is the book for you. 4.5 stars.

Just Mercy: A Story of Justice and Redemption, by Bryan Stevenson

Bryan Stevenson is a lawyer who founded the Equal Justice Initiative, a legal practice that defends the most needy and works to get innocent people off of death row. In Just Mercy, Stevenson details his experiences as a lawyer in the south. The novel includes stories of the wrongly condemned people as well as follows one of his first cases, the case of Walter McMillan, who was sentenced to die for a murder he insisted he did not commit. Stevenson takes the reader through to a journey through the legal system and examines the meaning of mercy and justice in the American legal system.

It is not often that I can say that a book transformed the way I think. My opinions on death row and the legal systems before reading this book were at best naïve and at worst misinformed and Just Mercy completely changed that. It is also incredibly thought provoking. There were too many times as I read this book that I had to put it down to be able to process and think through all of my thoughts. Although it’s not necessarily a light or fun read, I would recommend this to everyone. Even if at the end of the book you completely disagree with Stevenson on his stance of death row, it will be worthwhile nonetheless. Luckily for Kenyon students Bryan Stevenson is coming to talk on September 29th! This is the perfect time to pick up this book; it does not take that long to read (especially since at this point of the semester you may even have a chance to read!) and you can probably finish it by the time he comes to visit. 5 Stars.

Sum Forty Tales From the Afterlives, by David Eagleman

There are so many possibilities of the afterlife, if you believe in an afterlife, and Eagelman imagines them all. Through Eagelman’s book of vignettes he examines different possibilities of what the afterlife could look like. From stories where God exists and stories where there is not a God in the equation, Eagleman puts forth witty possibilities.

This was an enjoyable book of vignettes. The writing was witty and flowed nicely, but at times I felt that each story was not complete and that it was lacking something.  I picked it up because I read a very interesting article on reading therapy and this was one of the books that the author read for her therapy. I was hoping that it would be more insightful, but it was a fine read nonetheless. If you are looking for a short witty read, this is a good book for that. 3.5 stars.

June

What We Talk About When We Talk About Love, by Raymond Carver

Carver explores love and loss in his short stories What We Talk About When We Talk About Love. The stories include “Tell the Women We are Going,” which tells the tale of two married friends, Jerry and Bill, and how the marriage changes the, “The Bath,” about a little boy who is hit by a car on his birthday, and of course the title story “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love,” which features four friends sitting around a table discussing love and relationships.

Carver is an amazing writer with beautiful prose in every story. That was what continued to draw me into each and every story. My favorite story, by far was “What We Talk About When We Talk About Love,” and if you do not want to read the whole book I would suggest just finding this one story. But, I would also suggest reading the short stories as a collection, because they all go nicely together. These are stories I suggest reading slowly and taking them in, after I was finished reading it I contemplated reading it a second time, just so I could fully absorb each and every one of the. I suggest this to anyone who is looking for a book with beautiful sentences or a lover of short stories. 4 Stars.

Eligible, by Curtis Sittenfeld

Eligible is the modern retelling of Pride and Prejudice. In this version, Liz is a magazine writer, and Jane is a yoga instructer. Both women are working in New York City when they must return home to Cincinnati after their father has a health scare. At the same time that Liz moves back to Cincinnati, Chip Bingley, an ex-bachelor on a reality dating show, and his friend Fitzwilliam Darcy have moved too, which intrigues the two sisters.

This book is the ultimate beach read. It is the perfect book for the summer or when you just want something light and enjoyable. Eligible is a parody of our time and is really enjoyable and funny to read it as so. For Austen fans I think many would find it interesting and fun how Sittenfeld updates the novel, but you do not need to be an Austen fan to enjoy the novel (I’ve never really been a huge Austen fan and loved it all the same). This was one of the most enjoyable beach reads I have a read in a while (and let’s face it, we all love a good beach read now and then).

I would really not recommend this if you were not looking for a light fluff read. I would say that it’s a 5 star beach read, but as a work of literature deserves a mere 3 stars.

August

The Reason I Jump: The Inner Voice of a Thirteen-Year-Old Boy with Autism, by Naoki Higashida

Higashida writes an autobiography on what it is like to be a thirteen-year-old boy with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Each chapter he writes out an answer to a “question” he feels like people want to know. He tries and explains why he “does the things he does,” and give the reader an insight into what his mind is like.  

To anyone who works with special needs or has an interest in Autism Spectrum Disorder this is a truly insightful autobiography. Although it may get repetitive at times, what is written is pretty important. I also loved this because it was like being able to look into someone’s mind and see what he or she is thinking and feeling. Although one may say that it is just one person’s thoughts and feelings, I still felt that I got a lot of insight into the mind of someone with Autism Spectrum Disorder. 4 Stars.

The Paris Wife, by Paula McLain

Disclaimer: I have not yet finished this novel, so my review may change when I have.

The Paris Wife is a historical fictional novel based on the lives of Ernest Hemingway and his wife Hadley. The novel begins with Hadley at 28, a quiet, unadventurous girl who meets Hemingway, who at the time is 21. Hadley is swept up into a fast romance and then marriage, excited by the prospects of an intriguing, ambitious, younger man.  As the novel goes on their marriage and love is tested time and again.

If you are like me, a history lover or are fascinated by the Roaring 20s and the great artists that came from the time, this is the perfect novel for you. I also got the Deluxe Edition (only available on Kindle), which gives footnotes for a lot of the history and background of characters. If you’re able to get that version, I would suggest it because reading the history alongside the story really enhanced the story! With its beautiful and descriptive prose, The Paris Wife takes the reader back in time and immerses the reader into the story until you feel as though you too are sitting in Hemingway’s living room. But, if you are not a history fan, there is a good chance that you could find this book dull. The plot does not pick up until about half way into the novel and even then, if you are not interested in the characters or the history of their lives, you will find yourself ready to put down the novel.  4.5 stars.

If you have any good reading suggestions that you’d think I’d like or have an opinion on any of the books I’ve read please comment! And if you haven’t read January, February and March editions, take a look and tell me what you think! Happy reading, everyone!

Image credits: Amazon.com