My Top Five Kanopy Movie Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

If you’re struggling with the endless scroll of content on Netflix and coming up dry, as a good deal of us do from time to time, Kanopy is a great option for finding free content to watch.

Kanopy is a streaming service for members of a library or institution; Kenyon offers this service for all of its students and uses your Kenyon login information to give you access to a wealth of digital content! 

I personally think that Kanopy is under-utilized by the Kenyon community, as I haven’t heard students or professors discuss this service, save for the occasional syllabus-required viewing. At the time of writing, Kenyon College has a collection of over 200 movies that are right at our fingertips–so let’s get watching!

1. Obvious Child (2014)

Jenny Slate takes the stage (quite literally and figuratively) as Donna as she contemplates abortion and what it means to choose one’s own path. I personally think that this movie does an amazing job of portraying abortion from the standpoint of a comedic movie. It’s unlike anything I have seen in media and I am grateful to see its appearance in Kenyon’s Kanopy library.

A brief synopsis: A young woman working on her comedic talents becomes pregnant after a one-night stand. Self-reflection and society-focused reflection ensue.

2. Parasite (2019)

Parasite has an incredible amount of awards to its name and for a good reason—it’s immensely interesting and a must-watch. It blurs the lines between comedy and thriller movies and kept me on the edge of my seat for the entirety of the film. Considering the fact that I’m someone who is afraid of horror movies, I found this movie to lean more on the side of “thriller” than horror, but it is good to keep in mind that it is rated R and does have violent scenes that might not be appropriate for younger audiences.

A brief synopsis: The Kim family will do whatever it takes to achieve upward financial ability, thus they lie their way into working for a rich family… however, things go awry.

3. Ladybird (2017)

I think the ultimate test of whether a coming-of-age movie holds up is if you are able to watch it with your mother and still able to laugh, cringe, and talk to each other afterward… and this movie holds up.

I would garner that there aren’t many students at Kenyon College who haven’t seen Ladybird, but its themes of growing older, family tension, and future-based anxieties are topics that really tug at the audience’s heartstrings.

A brief synopsis: Christine—sorry—Ladybird and her mother butt heads throughout the movie, with their own opinions, hopes, and dreams for themselves and for their family.

4. Loving Vincent (2017)

I cannot stress enough how fond I am of Loving Vincent. It truly is a masterpiece and I have watched it at least three times since it was released in theaters. Each frame emulates van Gogh’s style and is painted by hand based on footage shot of a quite star-studded cast. From there, the artistic team captures each individual frame via cameras, making the audience feel as though they are transported into the creative works of Vincent van Gogh.
A brief synopsis: While not strictly biographical, Loving Vincent explores the final years of van Gogh’s life and the strong emotions that accompany it.

5. A Cat In Paris (2010)

A Cat in Paris brings me back to when I was seven and on the road with my parents on the way to a relative’s house for Thanksgiving dinner. It truly sparks nostalgia and is able to captivate me twelve years later even though I know the plot by heart.

A brief synopsis: A black cat affectionately dubbed “Mr. Cat” or “Dino” leads a double life. By day, he spends his hours with a young girl who recently lost her father. By night, he assists a thief with his heists. The two storylines intertwine with a gorgeous art style to capture the attention of both children and adults alike.
If you are looking for a family-friendly, yet still intriguing, movie to watch with your relatives over the upcoming holidays, A Cat in Paris is a wonderful option.

Beyond my recommendations, Kenyon’s Kanopy subscription has so many films and media to watch that are available with the push of a few buttons and the typing of a few keys. It is 100% worth it to take a peek if you’re on the hunt for your next watch!

Carlin Steere is a writer and poet at Kenyon College. When she's not on campus, she can be found on the beaches of Connecticut with a notebook in hand.