This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

There’s absolutely nothing better than cuddling up in bed and watching a movie after a long and exhausting day. The pressures to socialize and go out every night are unrealistic and insurmountable. Oftentimes, we just need a night in. Alone time is crucial, and for those out there who are introverts, you’re familiar with the importance of taking time for yourself. But even extroverts, you need personal time too! 

Personally, “me-time” is imperative after a particularly tiresome and debilitating day. It’s on those occasions when I turn to one of my many go-to movies to make it all better. 

We all have our own individualized and customized lineup of comfort movies with which we assuage ourselves, and I’m sure yours undoubtedly provides you with the contented feeling you’re seeking. One’s choice or opinion of what constitutes a comfort movie is personal; sometimes a person’s comfort movie is one they have memories of watching when they were younger or movies they associate with another person, emotion, or event in their life. And if you’ve gathered an array of comfort movies you keep in your back pocket, more power to you! However, if you’re looking to expand your repertoire of comfort movies, I’ve developed a comprehensive list of my own favorites to help you do just that. 

(In no particular order)

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986)

The first time I ever watched Ferris Bueller’s Day Off was when I was sick and staying home from school. I was able to live vicariously through Ferris as if I was feigning illness and experiencing the city of Chicago in all its glory. The plot is light-hearted, relatable, and fun; one of the best things about this movie is that there’s no real conflict that would aim to worry a viewer, making it the perfect watch for a day during which you’re already “stressed out.”

The Princess Diaries (2001)

Seven-year-old me was on the edge of my seat right as Anne Hathaway uttered “Me? A princess?! Shut up!” in astonishment. And I remain on the edge of my seat to this day as I watch an ordinary 15 going on 16-year-old, Mia Thermopolis, claim her title as– say it with me– “Amelia Mignonette Thermopolis Renaldi, Princess of Genovia.” The film’s charming awkwardness and monarchical plot cultivate a reality into which I always want to escape. 

The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Who doesn’t want to dawn some ruby slippers and skip down the yellow brick road from time to time?! The Wizard of Oz is actually my mother’s favorite movie and my first viewing was with her. Therefore, I attribute this film to all things that remind me of my mom, and the comfort she brings me. Moreover, the fantastical land in which we find ourselves when we watch the movie is mesmerizing and breathtaking. Immersing myself into the Emerald City and all of its pleasantries overtakes me with happiness. Not to mention the movie’s plethora of songs; the nostalgic nature of ‘Somewhere Over The Rainbow’ transports me to a land far, far away from where all of my troubles just melt like lemon drops– similarly to the Wicked Witch of the West.  

Monsters, Inc. (2001)

Many of us probably recall watching this movie when we were younger, but have you ever taken the time to watch it now that you’re an adult? In addition to the feelings of nostalgia and childlike wonder this film evokes in us, rewatching this movie when you’re older will actually make you appreciate its understated complexity. The brilliant ideas and creative plot points happen to be more intricate and innovative than what catches the eyes of a child, despite the ways in which it’s brought to life through animation. And who knows, maybe you’ll laugh at jokes that previously went over your head as a kid. When watching Monsters, Inc. with fresh and intellectually advanced eyes, comfort takes on a different form, but a more satisfying and elevated one. 

The Wolf of Wall Street (2013)

This one may seem strange, especially if you’ve seen the film. Despite The Wolf of Wall Street’s three-hour running time, its fast pace and overwhelming amount of furor keep the audience entertained throughout the entire movie. Making use of its R rating, the film is raunchy but equally fun and exciting, thrilling and intriguing. In my opinion, The Wolf of Wall Street is a feel-good kind of movie; considering the tumultuous state of Jordan Belfort’s life, I usually feel better about my own situation, even if I’m dealing with my fair share of adversities. 

Legally Blonde (2001)

This girl power-infused chick flick/rom-com never fails to bring a smile to my face. With its smart humor, legal jargon, engaging plot points, and pink-ness, Legally Blonde can surely brighten anyone’s day. The protagonist, Elle Woods, and the film’s overall uplifting message go hand in hand; the film is just chock-full of positivity. Besides, who doesn’t want to watch a perceived “dumb blonde” finesse her way through law school and a murder trial to show up her ex-boyfriend?!

A League of Their Own (1992)

Some may describe this movie as ‘obscure’, ‘underground’, or ‘indie’ as many of those in our generation have not heard of it. It’s old–it was released in the ’90s– and it tells the true story of the professional women’s baseball league that was created while the typical league’s male players were overseas, fighting in World War II. Not only does the movie feature a star-studded cast with the likes of Geena Davis, Tom Hanks, and Madonna, but it also serves the audience with abundantly funny, heartwarming, and inspiring moments. With its roots embedded in feminism, sisterhood, and female empowerment, this film always manages to bring a tear to my eye by the time the credits roll. 

Grease (1978)

A joyful, spirited, and playful movie musical about high school in the 1950s!? Say no more.

Homeward Bound (1993)

Very few people have seen or even heard of this movie, but of the people who have watched it, most of them would agree that it’s a gem. The story is about three house pets– dogs named Shadow and Chase, and a cat named Sassy– who get lost in the wilderness of California, yet are determined to make it home to their loving owners. The lack of green screens or CGI in the film makes way for a beautiful setting in nature, with all different types of animals making various cameos. But the best part: the pets are narrated! And the combination of humor, heartbreak, and heartfelt moments is what ultimately encourages me to continue rewatching this movie. 

Little Women (1994 or 2019)

The inspiring, poignant, moving and exquisite story that is Little Women regales an all-American tale commonly known and adored by many. Both versions, the one with which I grew up (1994), and the most recent adaptation by Greta Gerwig (2019), offer revolutionary takes on sisterhood, feminism, family values, romance, ambition, pain, and coming of age. I have no preference between the two, although I will say that I thoroughly enjoy watching Timothee Chalamet and Saoirse Ronan galavant around 19th century Concord, Massachusetts.  

Some honorable mentions include Mary Poppins (1964), The Princess Bride (1987), Crazy, Stupid, Love (2011), The Breakfast Club (1985), 13 Going On 30 (2004), A Cinderella Story (2004), Back to The Future (1985), and The Parent Trap (1998).

And there you have it: my complete compilation of comfort movies for when you need a pick-me-up! Happy watching!

Elizabeth is an intended English major at Kenyon college hailing from Westchester, New York. In her free time, Elizabeth loves listening to music (and singing along sometimes), having fun with friends, and watching movies and tv shows.