This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As fall has come to Gambier and is slowly inching towards winter, it’s the perfect time of the year to do your annual rewatch of Harry Potter. I myself have been binge-watching the past couple of weeks, but as I chronologically went through the films I noticed my excitement and love for certain movies differed. In the back of my mind I’ve always had my favorite films and storylines, so I welcome all controversy and hot takes as I rank all of the Harry Potter films. 

#8 – Deathly Hallows Part 1

As necessary as this film was to the franchise and in understanding the massive plot that tied everything together, this whole movie was a set-up. It only functioned as a prelude to the final movie, and although there are wholesome moments in the film such as Bill and Fleur’s wedding and some dancing scenes between Hermione and Harry in the woods, the story still drags and is drowned in heavy plot detail. It’s hard not to get irritated at Ron’s constant crankiness as well. 

#7 – The Half-Blood Prince

Now I know this is a hot take, but this movie is so painfully forgettable. The darker side of Voldemort’s rising and Harry leaving childhood are the obvious main themes, but the movie is once again filled with details that sometimes bog down the plot. A specific dark filter constantly invades shots of the film: a sad departure from the warmth of Hogwarts that the audience loved for so long. 

#6 – The Chamber of Secrets

So if we’re completely ignoring the terrible acting of young Daniel, Emma and Rupert, I think more than anything my dislike stems from the utter repetition and replay of the film on ABC family Halloween channels. Although the plot is by far one of the cleaner, more coherent films in the series, the collective experience of its replay on cable television might have ruined it for fans. 

#5 – Deathly Hallows Part 2

The amount of tissues that I need in order to get through this movie is so tragic. Snape’s backstory, the realization of Lily’s love, and all the flashbacks to Dumbledore are so beautifully and climatically done in the film. The Battle of Hogwarts is so emotionally powerful and the sheer strength of all the characters we’ve come to love immerses the audience into this final fight between good and evil. Since it’s such a heavy, long film, it takes a lot to sit down and watch it. It almost needs to be prefaced with Deathly Hallows — Part 1 just because of the complex plot that the audience has to pay attention to. 

#4 – The Sorcerer’s Stone

With the magical wonder, innocent faces, and new experiences, this movie is sweet nostalgia wrapped in chocolate frogs and jelly beans. The movie does an amazing job at introducing us to the wizarding world, and while it doesn’t have the most complex or beloved plot of the films, it’s a classic either way.

#3 – Order of the Phoenix

Personally, I think the middle era of Harry Potter is when the series really gets interesting. We see all of our favorite characters embrace their mischievous and rebellious adolescence, especially in the founding of Dumbledore’s army. From the fights with Umbridge to the tricks of Fred and George, this movie shows the spirited reality of the magical youth at Hogwarts, and you can’t help but want to be involved in the gang’s shenanigans as well.

#2 – Goblet of Fire

The Yule Ball, the Triwizard Tournament, every male characters’ long hair situation: what’s not to love about this movie?! From the different wizarding schools featured, the Quidditch world cup, and intense competitions of the tournament, this movie is so action packed with Hogwarts excitement it nearly could be number one on my list. 

#1 – Prisoner of Azkaban

But….Prisoner of Azkaban tops my list of favorite Harry Potter movies without a doubt! Despite its plot holes, the mysterious autumnal vibe to the music and the movie are perfect for this time of year. The majestic scene of Harry riding Buckbeak and the growing bond between him and Lupin are so precious and underrated. This movie is everything spooky, cozy and fall, and it’s perfect for watching with friends after making warm cups of hot chocolate or butterbeer.

Hopefully my list encourages you to fall in love once more with the beloved series.

Mia Huerta

Kenyon '25

Mia is a sophomore and a writer for Her Campus. She is from the suburbs of Chicago, IL and is majoring in English with a concentration in creative writing. In her free time she enjoys playing guitar, reading, baking sweet desserts, and discovering new music.