This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I think that my fascination with mixtapes first came about when I read High Fidelity in the seventh grade. Yes, High Fidelity probably isn’t the type of book that a seventh grader should be reading, but I had gotten to an age where most of what I read came straight out of my parents’ book collection, and when my dad recommended that I read the book for my English project, I couldn’t refuse. My favorite part about the novel was all of Rob’s lists. Mixtapes are a way to put together the perfect group of songs in order to tell a story to the listener. At their best, they create an entire world for the listener to melt into, and at their worst, they are simply a jumbled group of songs. 

Personally, I think that all mixtapes are great because each one is like a musical journal. They mark a point of time in a person’s life when those particular songs were important. Even a song like “My Chick Bad” by Ludacris brings me back to dancing in my friend’s driveway as daylight rapidly faded in the summer I was thirteen. Using music as a journal has become one of my favorite things to do, and I often make what I like to call ‘playlists of the moment.’ In essence, about once a season, I create a playlist with the songs that I listen to the most; the songs that mean the most of me at that time for whatever reason.

I’ve been creating ‘playlists of the moment’ for about a year and a half now, and I’d like to share with you my most current list. So without further ado, here is my current playlist.

“Outcast” — Mainland

I heard this band for the first time when they opened for Jukebox the Ghost, and I fell in love. Their West Coast rock vibes are super chill, and this song is a great mood booster.

“Miley” — Swmrs

I am a HUGE Swmrs fan, and this was the first single they released on their new album. This song is grungy, and the vocals are incredibly raw. Also, who doesn’t love a song about Miley Cyrus?  

“Redemption Song” — Bob Marley

This song was once the lullaby that my dad sang to me, and I still hum it to myself from time to time to calm myself down. It’s a simple, mellow melody, but the lyrics are powerful.

“No Love Like Yours” — Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

Another relatively new single! Whenever I listen to this, I just want to skip down middle path with a huge grin on my face. It’s upbeat, and the harmonies are phenomenal.

“Using” — Sorority Noise

I scream the lyrics along with this song. It’s very cathartic, and I enjoy the sound that the band creates. I’m not a huge fan of super heavy metal music, but this song walks the line so perfectly.

“Migraine” — Twenty One Pilots

An Oldie, but a goodie. Twenty One Pilots holds a special place in my heart because I love how open they are about mental illness. This song has always resonated with me because it puts words to a lot of my own experiences and feelings. It’s nice to know that other people understand what you’re going through.

“Blister in the Sun” — Violent Femmes

I love the quick tempo of this song because it makes you want to hop up and dance around the room. I listened to it a lot growing up because my dad was a big fan, and I have vivid memories of the night I learned about its true meaning. (Psst… it’s about masturbation!)

“Kids” — The Frights

The Frights are another band that I discovered when they opened for another band. Currently, I listen to this entire album at least once a day, but I especially love this song because I love all of the teenage angst. Also, I do miss my mom and dad!

“Bad Moon Rising” — Creedence Clearwater Revival

This song is good vibes. There’s no other way to describe it; it just exudes joy, and you can’t help but smile when you hear it. It brings me back to summers at Nelson’s Ledges, a big lake I used to go to with my friends.

“Down to the River To Pray” — Alison Krauss

This version of the song is actually on the “O’ Brother, Where Art Thou?” soundtrack, which I just watched for the first time over spring break. I’ve always loved this song, and I actually sang it for a talent show in second grade. I’ve been missing my grandparents a lot recently, and this is one of the many old folksy songs that my grandfather used to love, so it makes me feel closer to them.

As I said before, I love all playlists. This set of songs is a representation of what is important to me during this period of my life, and I think that it’s a great way for me to preserve my own thoughts and feelings. So, I would like to recommend that all of you try this too. It’s really neat to look back and see how some playlists have different moods and memories, and it allows you to document your life in a unique way. If you like these songs, you can find them here — I created a Spotify playlist for your enjoyment!

Image Credit: Static, Amazon, Wikimedia, Stereoembersmagazine, Stereogum

Jenna is a writer and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a senior chemistry major at Kenyon College, and she can often be found geeking out in the lab while working on her polymer research. Jenna is an avid sharer of cute animal videos, and she never turns down an opportunity to pet a furry friend. She enjoys doing service work, and her second home is in the mountains of Appalachia.