Introducing Katherine Moss

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Full Name: Katherine Joan Moss
Hometown: Lake Bluff, Illinois
Major/Minor: Currently undeclared, intending on English, possible double in American Studies
Activities on campus: Admissions host, Admissions lunch buddy, Admissions LINKS advisor, Renegade (was in Arsenic and Old Lace and is currently rehearsing for Picnic), community choir, volunteering at the humane society.
Class year: 2015

You knew this one was coming. Let’s talk about your namesake, or not-so-namesake, Kate Moss.
Oh oh oh. Well, my family members all call me Kate. Which is kind of frustrating. Why would my parents think that would be fine? It’s also ironic because she was on the cover of People magazine the week I was born. So it wasn’t even like she wasn’t famous. She was at the end of her reign as queen of the modeling world, which is slightly annoying because I think a lot of the things she stands for I’m very opposed to. She stood for showing girls that being this tiny, little, waifish character who cares more about their appearance and doing drugs makes you famous. It’s not the image I think people should broadcast. So…screw her!
character who cares more about their appearance…and doing a lot of drugs. It’s just not the image that I think people should be broadcasting to young girls. So….screw her!

Let’s say you can only listen to one playlist for the rest of your life. Pick 5 songs.
OHHH! Ok! I have to cover all of my emotional bases. Currently, I’m on my Spanish listening exercise playlist, but that’s the worst thing ever.
1: Casimir Pulaski Day by Sufjan Stevens – Perfection. Calm, acoustic,
unique. Almost chanty. He was intending to write an album for every state,
and this one is from Illinois, so that’s obviously close to my heart. It’s a
little sad, but when you’re having a bad day it makes you calmer.
2. Build Me Up Buttercup by The Foundations – I’ve loved it since I was a
kid. You always sing along. My Dad used to call my old dog Buttercup. He
was yellow, and when he was sick we would play it 24 hours a day.
3. Only The Good Die Young by Billy Joel – Go have fun! Be young! Enjoy
life! My best friend from home and I drive to Evanston and there’s a back
route that’s longer and more scenic, and there’s one part with all these
twisty foresty roads where we always play this song.
4. Sugar Magnolia by The Grateful Dead – my Dad’s a Deadhead! When I
was little, my Mom would put on lullabies and brain stimulating music and
my Dad would sneak in and play Sugar Magnolia and I would light up. I’m
a Daddy’s girl.
5. Ashes and Wine by A Fine Frenzy – I love her. I think her voice is
unreal. It’s kind of girly, lots of break up and relationship songs. But it’s
more poetic and real than TSwift (who I love to jam out to in my car). But
this got me through a hard time in high school and I love the song for it.
The thing you’re most looking forward to in the coming year is…
Coming back in the first semester and being comfortable here. I know where I fit in. I know who my friends are and whom I can trust. Now I can establish what I want to do here. I want next year to be the beginning of making my mark here before I leave. What that actually means…we’ll see. I think freshman year is about getting your grounding, figuring out where you are comfortable and all. But, from there on out, it’s time to do what you’re actually passionate about and learn more about yourself.

What’s one thing no at Kenyon knows about Katie Moss?
My best friend from home, Maria, and I have been best friends since first grade, and we can do this thing where we know each other well enough so we can talk with our eyes. We can talk without talking.

How do you feel about the new McBride shower heads?
I’m gonna be honest. I think I’m the only person that doesn’t really notice a difference. I knew they were changing them, and I went to shower and thought “oh, they forgot to put the new shower heads back on.” Because I’m short, I already got the end dribbles of the water anyway. Today I was forced to use a different shower than usual, and it had such great water pressure. My hair was actually seriously wet!

You are on the road to becoming Pinterest-famous.
Yes. You were the one that made me get a Pinterest!
I saw a revolutionary in the making.
Oh my, well, thank you! I knew I’d become absolutely addicted and now I’ve lost it. I could be pinning for hours. I don’t understand how I’m following so many people but I never clicked to follow them! But they’re so cool…I want their lives. Based on their Pinterests, that is. But, based on my PInterest, my life is awesome—way more awesome than it is. On Pinterest, I am older and sophisticated and have lots of money to spend on tons of stuff. And I just look at cute puppies all day. I pinned three cute puppies in the last 48 hours.

Do you have a favorite “Real Housewives” city?
I used to watch New York and Orange County. I’ll say New York because Jill Zarin was an inspiration for me. I used her to get into character for one of my favorite shows in high school. I had to be this sassy, overly dramatic, annoying Long Island housewife. And backstage, I’d say “Jill Zarin, Jill Zarin, Jill Zarin” in my accent to get into character. The whole cast and the director started doing it.
You owe a lot to Jill.
I do. I emailed her and she emailed me back! Jill Zarin emailed me…back. I mean, she didn’t initiate contacting me.

If you could nanny for any celebrity child, who would it be?
I would pick the Affleck-Garners. 1, Ben and Jen are adorable. And I like that their kids seem normal, and maybe a little awkward looking in a cute way. The relationship between Matt Damon and Ben Affleck, you can see they’re both trying to raise their families as normally as possible. I just want them to stay together and I just would want to be Jennifer Garner and married to Ben Affleck. So it would be my in to becoming them.

Something you’d never be caught dead wearing…
Oooooh. Um. It’s not that I don’t like it on other people. I think it’s really cute. But I could not pull off the sheer top with just the bandeau underneath. A bandeau is risky. And I would just feel really exposed. Not my cup of tea. But it looks really cute on other people.

What’s your biggest pet peeve?
I don’t like it when people seem conscientious of things that other people don’t like and then they do it anyway. Or when somebody knows that a person will react negatively and don’t care and do it anyway. Why purposely be rude or create drama?

Any parting words or words of wisdom?
This year, I’ve learned a lot about myself. I’m at the point where I’m ready to be home for summer purely because I’m ready to be done with work. But as the year is coming to an end, I’m looking back and am so unbelievably happy that this is where I chose to be and ended up. This was definitely the right decision and I’m already heartbroken at spending so much time away. I’m already excited for move in day next year!

Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.