Inspiration for Life from Nelson Mandela

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

There are a few people in history who can say they’ve won a Nobel Peace Prize or been President of a nation. However, even fewer can say that they’ve changed the world. On Thursday, December 5th, Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president, anti-apartheid revolutionary, and philanthropist died at age 95.

Mandela gave his life to humanity. Few people in history will leave such a legacy of charity, compassion and peace. He left in his wake enduring lessons and teachings for the good of the world that will never, ever be forgotten. Here are five quotations that capture the wisdom that Nelson Mandela left us with, hopefully to give you some inspiration to get you through this finals’ week and whatever comes next:  

1. “Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
This is why we go to college. This is why we read books, watch the morning news, raise our hands and write 20-page research papers. Knowledge is power, and an education can change anyone’s life so that they may change the world in turn.

2. “A good head and a good heart are always a formidable combination.”
In order to make a difference, one must have an atuned mind and a good heart. It is this awe-inspiring permutation of worldly cognizance and utter compassion that will propel change, and which Nelson Mandela emobided during his lifetime. 

3. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.”
Never doubt yourself. Always believe in the impossible, because it is the truly remarkable, the truly exceptional, who can inspire the conceivable to develop from the impossible. Try even when everyone is telling you it will never happen.

4. “For to be free is not merely to cast off one’s chains, but to live in a way that respects and enhances the freedom of others.”
Freedom is much more than living in a world where you can choose what to eat or wear. Freedom is your ability to choose who you love, who you want to be. Freedom is the unfathomable opportunity you have to alter the course of someone else’s fate when they themselves, can’t, and everyone deserves the opportunities to realize these freedoms.

5. “Do not judge me by my successes. Judge me by how many times I fell down and got back up again.”
The true judge of character is how a person reacts to adversity. Either they can sink or they can swim. A fighter will get up out of bed when the day is going to be absolute hell. A fighter will climb, and a fighter will win.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.