jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jake dela concepcion SDktAkDbmgE unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How You Know Bae’s The One

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

You stare into each other’s eyes longingly. You both like the same puppy videos on Facebook. You know each other’s families like the back of your hand. These are just a few reasons you can tell someone is The One. But, like, aren’t there any other reasons, too, that don’t sound like textbook answers to a Seventeen article? Yes, there is, and we have discovered it.

You tell them everything

There are no red lines here, and if there are, you can cross all of them. Have a nasty pimple? Shit your pants at work? Tell them, and make it part of your daily routine to do so. The One will want to tell you everything about their poop.

They bend to your will

You want to up and go to Paris before they have a big deadline at work or school? They’ve bought the plane tickets. You won’t use Google Maps to navigate because you totally remember how to get to this obscure restaurant you went to three years ago? They’ll stay silent in the passenger seat while you drive around lost for an hour. You want Chipotle, they want pizza? It’s Chipotle every time (which is the right decision, obviously, pfft). You, 3wheels followers, should never be making any sacrifices.

They respond well when you’re struggling with something

The One will often be heard saying things like, “Sucks,” or “You’ll be fine,” or “Mm hm,” or “Sorry, can you repeat that?” when you go to them for advice. It’s best that they don’t use too many words or offer too much advice, because this is your time to express yourself. These thoughtful responses will go such a long way to making you feel better and strengthening your relationship!

You like to wear the same color schemes

This is crucial for taking good pictures together. With The One, you’ll get great profile pictures, holiday pictures, and even cover photos. It’s important that you match and look stylish together, because, like I said, appearance is what matters in committed relationships.

You and their parents are besties

If you find yourself gossiping about bae’s annoying af qualities with Laura and Taylor at the dinner table, they’re the one. If you also find yourself going to the nail salon with bae’s mom rather than spending time with your honey, or engaging with embarrassing stories of bae with their parents, then it’s also a good sign. In fact, why not just become BFFS with bae’s mom? I can guarantee that she wants to know all the details of your sex life. She probably has a lot of tips.

You have the opposite ideas about moral issues, which keeps things spicy

Like red cheetos, you need to keep your relationship flamin’ hot. If your sweetie loves Trump and you voted for Hillary, or you constantly argue about abortion rights, they’re the one! They say you don’t have to agree on everything, so if you agree on literally nothing, it’s probably working out well.

You’re always serious around each other, because you want your life to look like a movie

Personal image is super important. If you’re always super concealed and never make a fool out of yourself, it’ll make you look desirable and cool, like your awesome Uncle Bernard and Aunt Christine before they get drunk af at Christmas parties.

They still believe in Santa Claus

This way, you have a secret to keep from them. Secrets are the missing ingredient in most failed relationships. They keep the tension alive!

Your eyebrows are the same shape

This, obviously, is the most important thing for compatibility. It also ensures that your kids will have great eyebrows, because I’m assuming you have great eyebrows.

You both use the same brand of shampoo

If you use Pantene and they use Garnier Fructis, think how crowded your shower would be! No one should have to deal with that. If you feel like you’re losing time, find The One by going to a public space and sniffing out your preferred hair product.

See, it’s not too hard to figure out if bae is The One. Just see if they check things off the list, and there you go!

Image Credits: Popsugar, Quotegram, Buzzfeed, Huffington Post

We are a group of three girls who give satirical (and, sometimes, serious) dating advice, because we are experts at this.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.