Hook Up Nation: One Woman’s Response to “Kenyon Hookups”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

1)      Female

2)      Sociology with Law and Society/Biology

3)      2016

4)      Straight

5)      White

These are the first 5 things you are asked to type as you fill out an entry for the “Kenyon Hookups” Facebook page. After this, you’d give a description of yourself, the type of person you’re looking for, and how many time a week you want to get nasty. Yeah, I’m sure it’s much easier to click a few buttons and type a few sentences to find a one night stand,and this isn’t the first time Kenyon has tried the flirting trend. A few years ago, “LikeALittle” ran rampant, and lately Kenyon Confessions is blowing up in popularity.

So, what’s the latest one? Kenyon Hookups. It acts as an anonymous way to find your next f*ck buddy through Facebook. I understand some people just want a quickie, but c’mon we are still in college. Some people use an online dating service if they don’t have time or if they’re too shy. But that isn’t us. We are all busy and some of us are socially awkward, but there are chances everywhere and every day (especially on a small campus).

Can’t come up and ask me what my name and major are in person? Call me old-fashioned, but if I want anything to do with a possible hook-up, they better come up to me in person.

Plus, where is the fun in hooking up with someone you were randomly set up with by some random people who read your sneaky Facebook message?  I’m not looking for a dozen roses or you to put a ring on it. But I’m sure not as hell going to find you on Kenyon Hookups.

Remember, this is Kenyon. Honestly, it’s already easy enough to run into your drunk hook-up from the night before in Peirce or on Middle Path. Doing this all online isn’t going to solve those problems. Kenyon is still a small campus where you’re likely to run into your late night Kenyon Hookups booty-call. We aren’t at a big school where you’re not likely to run into them ever again or where it’s hard to meet other people.

Everyone calls these four the “best years of our lives,” so instead of typing about your ideal partner, go out and find them…preferably in person.

Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.