Her Campus Celebrity: Samuel Troper

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Samuel Troper           

Age: 19

Year: 2018

Hometown: Worthington, OH

Major: Undecided, but probably math, poly sci, or film or maybe a double major containing two of those.

What activities are you involved in on campus?

Model UN, Rugby, I am one of the Tikkun Olam chairs at Hillel, job as a DSA, which is a complimentary job in the Helpline; we work with the staff more than the students, I also do programming, and I’m maybe thinking about starting a programming club if I have the time and can figure out how to make a club.

What is your spirit animal?

This is a difficult question. It’s very personal. Um, people compare me to a bear a lot. Not just physically, but they’ll say, “Oh you’re like a teddy bear.” And okay, I’ll take that. 

What’s it like being in the model UN?

It’s a very fun club. I enjoy it a lot. The trips are good. I like it because it’s both fun and intellectual. We went to a conference in October, and it was fun, but you had to think a lot. It’s hard dealing with people (everyone knows that), but it is very fun.

What made you decide on rugby?

I had never played before. I was looking for a club sport to do here, and one of my good friends who I went to school with was thinking about it. We met someone on the team, and he said come down; we did, and it’s very fun.

What is your favorite place on campus to just sit and enjoy the place?

When the weather is nice, it’s nice to just sit down, grab a picnic table on the freshmen quad and lay on it and watch the stars on it. I’ve spent hours doing that. It’s really relaxing, very nice. 

What is one thing on your Kenyon bucket list, so far?

This is a tough one, as well… I’d say probably just spending the entire day in the BFEC, spending time with friends, maybe swimming in the river. Just all day – go in the morning and stay through the evening. 

Do you have any advice for incoming or current freshmen?

Well, as many of the other freshman learned already, it’s a very good idea to not trust the Wi-Fi during registration. That’s more for incoming freshmen than current, because we’ve all figured that out already, obviously.

How did your registration go, by the way?

Really well! I was in Peirce in the computer lab, so I was connected in. I’m very glad.

If you could eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be and why?

I would go with pizza, because you can make so many topping options. One pizza would never be another pizza, and pizza is just good.