Going Abroad: A Primer on Packing

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

You wrote all the essays, asked your professors for recommendations, finally declared your major, and you nailed your interview. You’re all set to go abroad!

It’s that time of the year when sophomores hear back from the Center for Global Engagement and immediately start creating mental packing lists for their time in a new country! Before finalizing those lists, take a look at what Kenyon students wish they had brought with them, as well as things better left in America.

What to bring:

“I wish I had brought more going out clothes to Ireland! We don’t really think about it in Gambier, but they’re definitely important!”

“Have a smaller bag for weekend trips in addition to the huge rolling suitcase you will probably use for the majority of your things.”

“Something to put on your wall or a few small mementos from home (pictures, etc.). I didn’t bring any because I thought I wouldn’t want it, but I ended up printing off some pictures to put up, for when you’re missing home a bit!”

“It’s very difficult to find peanut butter in Europe/the UK, so I kind of wish I had brought that.”

“Yes definitely peanut butter!”

“My first impulse is to say peanut butter.” Okay, seriously, maybe we should all think about bringing peanut butter.

“I found that I could buy most things I needed on arrival, but it was very useful on that first day to have sheets packed in my bag so that I wasn’t attempting to navigate [England] both jet-lagged and overwhelmed. I did have to improvise a pillow with several sweaters, but we do what we must.”

“Layers and lots of basics that can be mixed and matched since you have to pack pretty light.”

“Tampons, if you’re in Latin America!”

“Small, portable speakers if you’re living in a dorm or apartment for pre-games and such.”

“Warm clothes! I thought traveling in the spring would be warm but it was so cold!”  I heard this about both Sweden and Spain!

“I would say bring a bag scale (one of those little ones you can buy at Brookstone).”

“Pain relievers like Excedrin and Advil, I’m pretty sure I couldn’t find them in Copenhagen.”

“Bring your iPhone or smart phone with you instead of getting one of the shitty pre-paid international phones that your program offers. I didn’t have an iPhone then, but it would have been really helpful to have Google/Apple maps and a phone with a decent camera for those times when you don’t want to/can’t carry a larger camera with you.”

What to leave behind:

“Rain boots! They took up a ton of space and I never wore them in the UK.”

“Nothing that needs to be dry cleaned or has special washing instructions.”

“If you’re going to northern Europe don’t bring heels because there are cobblestones EVERYWHERE and I know two people who have sprained their ankles since being here!” Yikes!

“I wish I hadn’t taken SO MANY clothes. I bought tons over in England so it was completely stupid of me to fill my suitcase on the way over.”

“Always leave extra room in your luggage for the things you’re going to bring back!”

Take heed, collegiettes, and get excited for your time abroad! Have a suggestion for your peers’ packing lists? Leave a comment!

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!