photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Giving Thanks, the HCK Way

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s time for the HerCampus Kenyon staff to get a little sentimental. As we wind down the semester and return home for a week of reuniting with friends and family, eating our favorite comfort foods, and relaxing before the last stretch of classes and finals that awaits us upon our return, we can’t help but reflect on the months passed. Where have we been, where are we going? What are we most thankful for this Thanksgiving? Here’s what our staff had to say:

Jessica: I am thankful to get to see my dog during Thanksgiving break, for Kenyon’s free printing, and that class registration is over!

Franny: I’m thankful for the opportunity to study abroad next semester, to take new classes and to meet new people from all over the world! 

Marissa:  I am so thankful for my wonderful friends, at home and at Kenyon, who never fail to make me smile!

Ines: I’m thankful for my amazing family back home who gave me the opportunity to come study in the US and meet all my wonderful friends at Kenyon.

Rachel: I’m thankful for Danish pastries and that my mom is saving a can on pumpkin to make pie when I get home in December!

Lucia: I’m thankful for my family, friends, my puppy, and all the opportunities that life has given me.  

Celia: I’m so thankful for the opportunity to study abroad–to travel and meet new people. But spending my semester in a country that doesn’t celebrate Thanksgiving has made me even more appreciative of the most important things: family, friends and home. (And, of course, I’m thankful for One Direction and Midnight Memories.) 

Annie: I am grateful for the Oreos international distribution team and for the fact that Christmas lights are now popping up all over Dublin!

Haleh: I’m thankful for pillows because life would be sadder without them (this is kind of a joke but you know, it’s really true.)

Ally: I am thankful that the pumpkin spice trend is sweeping the nation. I’m thankful for my family-family, my Mallets Bay Family, my Wilton Family, my Kenyon family, my Danish family…who keep me sane and happy and appreciative all year round.

Emma: I’m thankful for a co-editor who turned out to be an amazing friend, for the opportunity to work on 2 incredible plays this semester, for a dog who greeted me when I got home for break, and for friends who are making it hard to imagine going abroad in just a few weeks.

Jenna: I am thankful for my friends, old and new. I’ve met some incredible people at Kenyon, and becoming friends with them has been amazing. And even though I’m far away, my friends back home are always supporting me…..and I am thankful for music. I love making playlists, and listening to the right set of songs always puts me in the right state of mind to do whatever needs to be done.

Maddy: This year I’m thankful for the opportunity to study at a place like Kenyon, for my family, and for the amazing friends I have! And for pie and mashed potatoes.

Lexi: I’m most thankful for my friends, both old and new.

Happy Thanksgiving to all! Enjoy your time at home with your favorites, and we’ll see you soon back on the Hill!
Love,

The HCK family

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.
Emma Miller, from Shaker Heights, Ohio,  is a senior Drama major at Kenyon College. She is a co-president of StageFemmes, a Kenyon student theatre organization dedicated to showcasing the talents of women in drama. Emma spends her summers as Assistant Director at a Jewish performing arts camp. Emma is thrilled to be in her second year as co-Campus Correspondent for Kenyon's HC chapter.  Emma was a founding staff member of her high school's online magazine, and her writings have also been published on the FBomb. She is passionate about girls' education, Jimmy Fallon, iced tea, Ireland, Cleveland, and SmartWool socks.