The Five Stages of Your First Job

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It’s the start of a busy and exciting new term in Gambier, which can only mean that some Kenyon students are coming to the hill in search of campus employment. Maybe federal or institutional work-study factored into your financial aid package and you’re working hard to earn every cent of it. Maybe you need some extra cash to fund your trips to Chipotle or supplies for your sweet new studio art class. A lot of ardent Symplicity scouts are looking for their very first job—if that’s you, I’ve outlined what you’re about to experience in five simple steps.

1. The Hunt.

Like a lioness on the prowl for her prey, you’re refreshing Symplicity whilst shielded by the screen of your laptop. The “dozens” of listings promised in one of the first class-wide emails in July just aren’t coming up. You daren’t take a snack break in case the perfect position pops up and you miss the chance to submit your resume before anyone else. After an indeterminate amount of time, your eyes begin to glaze over and all the words on the screen start to run together. You resign for the night, vowing to yourself to stalk the page once more while in the library tomorrow during common hour.

*Pro Tip* Not all available on-campus jobs are posted on Symplicity! If you’re looking to work for a certain department, send them an email and ask if they’re hiring. Chances are you’ll uncover something you never thought would be available!

*Another Pro Tip* There are more jobs available on Symplicity than there are listings. Some positions will have one listing for a job that will hire several students, so don’t let the competition put you off.

2. Interview.

You’re sweating, your hands are shaking, and you can’t stop swinging your feet under the fancy swivel chair in your interviewer’s office. Everything that comes out of your mouth sounds like word vomit, and you forget at least two of the well-rehearsed plugs you desperately wanted to mention. Your interviewer seems to smell your fear, and every jot in their notebook seems to spell your inevitable rejection.

*Pro Tip* Believe it or not, interviewers actually want you to do well. They’re rooting for you because they want to find a great candidate to fill their position, and they’re hoping it’ll be you! Take a deep breath, speak slowly, and remember: the person seated on the other side of the desk isn’t the bad guy.

3. Disorientation.

It’s your first legitimate day of work, and despite your initial excitement at getting the job, you’re more anxious than anything at the prospect of the unknown. Maybe you’re alone, or you’re grouped with other new hires, but every word out of your new employer’s mouth sounds like Ancient Greek. Overwhelmed with information, you’re sure you won’t remember the names of your coworkers, your work computer login, or the order in which that mountain of paperwork should be completed.

*Pro Tip* Everyone was once new to what they’re best at. Try to remember what’s important, and take a few notes at Orientation. It’s okay to ask for help later on if you’re still unsure of something; employers would much rather have you inquisitive and assured than silent and insecure.

*Another Pro Tip* The CDO is your friend at every step of the employment process! Make an appointment on Symplicity for your burning questions, stroll up to the front desk for help with smaller matters (including that pesky paperwork), or shoot them an email if you’ve just got a quick query.

4. Adjustment Period.

You’ve begun to remember your coworkers’ names, you don’t have to ask where the break room is, and your time card is fully functional and filling up—great work! However, there’s still the matter of that impending project you’ll need help with, the after-hours get-together you’re expected to attend, and the awkward Peirce run-ins with student coworkers you don’t quite know so well.

*Pro Tip* Give it time. The more you focus in the early stages, the more confident you’ll be with every aspect of having a job (this time and in the future). 

5. Confidence At Last.

Finally, after a few weeks, months, or a whole semester for some, you’ve made it. Your coworkers are your friends, you’re on a first-name basis with your boss, and you feel confident that you could train the next newbie that comes along. However great you feel in your position, stay humble, young one. Come next semester, or summer break, or next year, the vicious cycle will bear its teeth again.

*Pro Tip* It’s great to feel confident, but don’t let it get in the way of your productivity. Remember, your first priority is to get your job done.

Whether you’re at stage five right now or you’re still searching for that perfect campus position, don’t forget to appreciate your first job. For many, it’s a defining part of the collegiate experience, especially when your time commitment is comparable to at least one extracurricular.  Another thing to keep in mind is that you won’t remember the minor stresses like interviews and embarrassing questions. Your first job is a huge milestone in your life, so enjoy the responsibility—you’ve earned it!

Image Credit: The Odyssey, Giphy, Lovelace Media

Amelia Yeager is a sophomore English major and Art History minor from Indianapolis, Indiana. When not writing for Her Campus or for fun, she likes tending to her succulents, discovering new R&B music, and playing with the nearest animal. She can be found applying glitter to her face and appreciating the great outdoors (not simultaneously). 
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.