A Discussion of Brock Turner’s Incarceration

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Content Warning: This article contains discussion about sexual assault. 

Former Stanford student, Brock Turner, who raped an unconscious woman behind a dumpster in January was released from prison on September 2 for “good behavior.” He evaded three months of his original six-month sentence for a crime that carries a maximum sentence of 14 years.

So, for violently assaulting an unconscious woman, a clear invasion of her privacy and well-being, a lenient three-month sentence is enough time to punish Turner.

It is also enough time for Kim Kardashian to expose Taylor Swift’s lies via Snapchat, for Instagram to re-order photos based on likes instead of time, and for Kate Hudson to open a new men’s clothing line.

It’s enough time for Ohio’s government to defund Planned Parenthood thereby prohibiting abortions and adding difficulties for women to seek choices regarding their own health. Enough time for Muslim women to encounter a forceful removal of their Burkinis on beaches in France, publicly stripping them of clothes and beliefs. Enough time for 75,000 American females to become victims of rape, approximately one assault every two minutes (RAINN).

Learning of Turner’s release after settling down at college, I find it alarming and frustrating. After becoming more aware of the prominence of sexual misconduct on campuses, I see the necessity to dismantle rape culture as a whole. This is not to say that Kenyon and other colleges across the country do not take great measures to educate students on the reality of assault and work to prevent it. However, as much as I wish Turner’s case is unique, unfortunately, it is not out of the ordinary.

In the latest study commissioned by the Association of American Universities, it was found that approximately one in four female college students report experiencing sexual assault, a percentage of 27.2% of females. This number may even be less than accurate due to the amount of sexual assault cases that go unreported since many victims face difficulties and judgment upon reporting.  

The category into which I fall—college female between the age 18-24—remains three times more likely to experience sexual violence, making us a targeted, vulnerable group. So, why?

In Turner’s case, the now 21-year-old male student blamed the “binge-drinking culture” for his “20 minutes of action,” as his father stated in his infamous letter, which relays a whole different issue of referring to the awful crime of rape without recognizing the victim’s lasting physical and mental trauma. Since that is merely a result of the party atmosphere, as Turner would claim, in response, Stanford banned hard liquor at undergraduate parties, which should eliminate all forms of sexual misconduct. However, intoxication does not excuse assault nor is always a contributor. Alcohol is a factor, certainly, as intoxication may heighten sexual urges, aggressive behavior, misjudgment, but alcohol does not commit the act. The victim, herself, negated Turner’s argument, stating, “alcohol was not the one who stripped me, fingered me, had my head dragging against the ground, with me almost fully naked.” Assault is not an accident.

The rapist holds blame regardless of the environment’s own separate issues involving pressured hook-up culture, alcohol abuse and portrayals of women.

Turner’s three-month long sentence remains enough time for an estimated 75,000 cases of sexual assault to occur. Of those 75,000 cases, only about 10,500 will exist inside a courtroom and an estimated 2,250 assaulters will spend time behind bars. Enough time for those victims to experience the fear of unwanted pregnancy or sexually transmitted diseases, post-traumatic stress disorder, depression, trouble with sleeping and eating, distrust, betrayal, guilt, exposure, self-hatred, and/or suicidal thoughts. However, not enough time to reduce the pervasive sexism and danger of assault females face every day. But then again, it was only three months.

Image credits: media.npr.org,  fusion.net, athensnews.com, ShakaSisulu