This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Dear Best Friend,

You and I have been together for over fourteen years now. It was the hands of fate, or God, or something that placed us in the same kindergarten class, and we hit it off immediately. There have definitely been bumps in the road, with arguments started on both sides, but we’ve made it through everything that’s come our way. Of all of the things I gained from my time in our town’s school system, you are the one I wouldn’t trade for anything.After being so close to you for so long, I was a little afraid of what would happen to our friendship when we went our separate ways for college. We would only be about an hour and a half apart, but that would be so different from seeing each other at least five, sometimes six or seven, days a week. We would both be making new friends, dating new guys (hopefully), and generally living very different lives. I was worried that when we did get to see each other, during breaks or weekend trips, we would feel awkward and disconnected.

Of course, I had nothing to worry about. Yes, we had made different friends, met new boys, and were having wildly different college experiences, but we were still best friends. You came to my cross country meet at OWU, and it was like we’d only been separated for a day. We fell into the easy conversations we’ve always had, with no awkward silences or small talk. It was the same way when I visited you at OSU during my Thanksgiving Break and when you came to Kenyon in December. I realized how silly I had been to think that a little thing like distance would be able to affect our long-lasting friendship.So here are the real reasons I’m writing this letter: to say thank you, and to tell you how proud I am to have you as a best friend.

Thank you for being by my side and putting up with me for fourteen years. Thank you for your support in everything I do. Thank you for having long phone conversations with me to help me believe that I am NOT losing my mind and to share about your own escapades. Thank you for always sending me funny memes and for being dedicated enough to our Snapchat streak that we are now at over 200 days! Thank you for being concerned about my mental health and general wellbeing.

I am incredibly proud of you. You are so academically driven that you’ll be graduating in only three years, and you’ve secured an amazingly cool internship for this summer. On top of that, you’re just an all-around wonderful human being. You’re intelligent, dedicated, kind, compassionate, friendly, mature, faithful, ambitious, graceful, and beautiful. I have watched you grow and change through the years, and you have become increasingly more fabulous in all aspects of your life. I know that you will only become more terrific as we grow older together.It’s evident that you’re going to be extremely successful in your life, professionally, socially, and personally, and all of that is due to your dedication and your passion. I wish you the best of luck in everything you do, and I want you to know that I’ll always be right by your side.

Party on,

Biz <3

Image Credit: Elizabeth Heckler

Elizabeth is a writer and Senior Editor for Her Campus Kenyon. She is currently a sophomore English major with an emphasis in Creative Writing at Kenyon College, where she is also a member of the cross country team. She is a Stephen King fanatic and a chocolate lover. In her free time, she can be found reading a good book or rewatching any of the Star Wars movies.