This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single woman in possession of good taste, must be in want of a man… bun.

Or is it? The “man bun,” a hairstyle in which a man with medium length hair puts it up into a small bun, is one of the most controversial things to come out of 2014. Some, like myself, believe it to be man’s most glorious invention; others, like Martha Denne ‘19, are simply wrong: “the only thing I like about man buns is that video where people go around cutting them off,” she said, effectively breaking my heart into two.

The man bun has come under serious attack lately, and not just from concerned hairdressers with scissors. Brigham Young University-Idaho recently deemed man buns “extreme” and banned male students from wearing them on campus. “It’s just something that deviates from the norm,” Tyler Barton, an university administrator, said.

A world without man buns is not a world in which I would like to live. In an effort to preserve the most important component of male fashion, I’ve collected just a handful of the most beautiful man buns.

Hozier

I saw Hozier in concert over the summer, and when he came on stage, I actually passed out. While the fainting was primarily due to stupidly not drinking enough water on a hot summer day, I’m sure it also had something to do with the fact that I had never been in the presence of such a powerful man bun before. This man bun has it all. Confidence, talent, and practicality. And it’s even better in action!

Kit Harington

This is the ultimate man bun. Rugged, mysterious, with a hint of sophistication. This is also perfect evidence that the best accessory for a man bun is a beard.

Bradley Cooper

This is a classic – and amazing – man bun: tousled, simple, with just a hint of rebellion.

Killing the man bun would be a travesty. It’s the fragile pillar on which all of male fashion rests; without it, how would long-haired men look both completely put-together and a little dangerous all at once? Let’s face it, there is no better hairstyle for men – so let’s stop arguing and embrace the man bun. The world would certainly be a much sexier place.

Sources: Twitter.com, Instyle.com, Tumblr.com