This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Age: 18

Hometown: Dublin, Ohio

Major: Latin with a pre-med route

Relationship Status: Taken (dating Jacob Adams, ‘19)

Favorite Ice Cream Flavor: Chocolate Devotion at Coldstone

Her Campus Kenyon: What extra-curricular(s) are you involved in?

Joy Head: I cheer, and I enjoy it. I’m also involved in Gospel Choir, I’m in KEEP (Kenyon Enrichment Educational Program), the Black Student Union, and Sisterhood (Kenyon’s women of color group).

Her Campus: We know you love pandas, so tell us why a panda would make the best pet!

Joy: They’re basically fluffy puppies!!! They’re gentle, they’re endangered so they need to be taken care of, and they’re just freaking adorable! The reason why I love pandas so much is because my favorite aunt took me to the DC Zoo when I was eight after I’d seen the Finding Nemo movie and it was love at first sight with the panda cub. It and its mom were adorable. To this day we still go to the DC Zoo. (Author’s note: Joy recommends watching PandaCam online.)

Her Campus: If you could touch any object in the world and know all of its history—everything it’s been through, everyone who saw it or owned it, what would that object be?

Joy: I would touch everything! Knowledge is power! How am I supposed to choose? I would touch the Internet! Then I’d know everything. It would be a blessing but a curse.

Her Campus: What’s your Chipotle order?

Joy: People get on me because it’s so bland. I’m the type of person who will want Chipotle at, like 2 pm. I always want Chipotle. I literally just get a steak burrito with sour cream, corn, lettuce, and chips and guac. The Chipotle two minutes from my house knew my order because I came in like two or four times a week. (Author’s note: this sounds amazing.)

Her Campus: Where is the best place for a date on campus?

Joy: The best place would be the bench on the freshmen quad. That’s where I met Jacob [her boyfriend, pictured above]. We talked for like, 5 hours. We didn’t realize it was dark outside. We didn’t look up until 12 am! We talked forever! I’d just met him; it was crazy. I’d never experienced that, being able to talk to someone for hours without any conception of time. It was the first day we met! It was special.

Her Campus: What’s your favorite thing about Kenyon?

Joy: I know I’ve said this a billion times…but as cliché as it sounds, it’s honestly the sense of community here. Never in my life have I met such a mass number of incredible people—so different, but also able to collaborate and work together. It’s refreshing to see so many different people from so many different backgrounds to be able to…come together without chaos (besides on Yik Yak). And the professors…sometimes I forget they’re professors because they’re so down to earth.

Another thing I love is that the judgment here is non-existent. People accept you here for who you are. No matter where I walk on campus, there’s always someone smiling.

Her Campus: If you could bring anything with you to campus, what would you bring?

Joy: A panda.

(Author’s Note: Joy has an AWESOME room. There are lots of Pandas. )

Her Campus: What’s the best piece of advice anyone’s ever told you?

Joy: I guess the best piece of advice is…to take advantage of where you are. Don’t forget how fortunate you are to be where you are in life, because there’s always someone who’s in a worse place.

Her Campus:  If you could put back anything into Pandora’s box (so that it wouldn’t be unleashed on the world), what would it be?

Joy: Ignorance.

Her Campus: Anything else you’d like to add?

Joy: Since pandas are endangered, it would be against the law for us to have a panda in each room, but I think we should have a puppy in each room, because scientific research shows an animal companion helps with anxiety and depression. We should all have puppies. (Author’s note: I agree. Also, Rishi, please let me and Joy have a puppy.)

Image Credit: Joy Head

Lindy is a current senior at Kenyon college majoring in Anthropology and Art History. She enjoys travel, books, cinema, art, food, and Scottish Whisky. Someday she hopes to travel around the world with a corgi named Max.
Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.