Campus Cutie: Bobby Luke Kresslein

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Name: Bobby Luke Kresslein

Age: 21

Year: Senior

Hometown: Ellicott City, MD

Major: Biology

Campus Activities: Ballroom Dance Team, CA, Biology Journal Club Coordinator

So, first thing’s first. Is your name actually Bobby, or is it Luke?

Well my given name is Robert Luke Kresslein, so they’re kinda both true in a way. But for the first 18 years of my life I went by Luke, and that was it. And then I came to Kenyon and joined ballroom and there was already a Luke in the club, so people wanted a different name for me. And so I said, “Well, my first name is Robert…” and before I could say I never used that, one of the senior members of the club declared that I would be called Bobby. It was set from that point on. I was Bobby. I always present myself as Luke to people outside of Ballroom, which has led to some interesting situations when somehow professors know me as Bobby.

What first made you want to join the Ballroom Team?

I had always wanted to learn how to dance ballroom. My family watches Dancing With The Stars a lot and I thought it looked fun, so when I saw Kenyon has a club I was like, “Yeah! I’m doing that!”

What was your first day Ballroom like?

The first time I went, I thought ballroom was fancy, so I had to dress fancy. So I wore a black button down shirt, black dress pants, and black dress shoes. Everyone else was wearing sweatpants. And then I proceeded to wear a suit the next day, so obviously I don’t learn quickly. I had a lot of fun dancing. There were other people who were a lot more awkward about it, because I’m not afraid of human contact. Honestly, I don’t remember much other than being laughed at for the outfit, because I have had so many days in Ballroom.

What’s your favorite dance?

My favorite dance is the Viennese Waltz, which is danced in a fast three. It’s my favorite because you get to dance really fast in circles, and it’s really pretty.

Can you pick a favorite Ballroom memory?

My junior year, I was dancing with Jennifer Seeley at Ohio Star Ball, which is the largest dance competition in the United States. We were dancing Viennese Waltz and we made it to finals, which was my first time making it to finals in any dance ever, and we placed fourth. It’s probably still the ribbon I’m most proud of.

Moving on to other parts of your life, what’s your favorite part of being a CA?

I really like working with freshman. I’ve been a freshman CA for all three years, so this is my fourth year in freshman housing. But it’s worth it, because I get to meet the new freshmen right as they arrive on campus, and I get to help define their first opinion of Kenyon. I also enjoy how freshmen are so excited about new things, because they haven’t defined themselves, so they are willing to try new things. It’s fun to be part of that experience with them.

Do you have any advice for people who will be new to the CA staff next year?

Be willing to be flexible. Your residents will surprise you in some way. They’ll do things you’re not ready for, sometimes good and sometimes bad. It can make your life challenging, or it can be great. So I think being flexible and willing to work with them is the best thing they can do, especially if they’re working with freshmen.

I know that within your Biology major you’re particularly interested in insects.  How did that come about?

In senior year of high school, I had a project in which I had to create an insect collection. I just had so much fun doing it, being outside and connecting with the microfauna in my world. Because when you’re hanging out in life, it’s easy to not pay attention to the biodiversity. Insects are really cool, because they’re little modules of action. They’re only good at one thing, but they’re really really good at that one thing. That’s just really incredible. I’ve kept my own insect collection for about five years now and I love it.

Now let’s do some silly questions! If you were to turn into a pie, what kind of pie would you be?

Strawberry Rhubarb. That’s an easy one.

If you were a Disney princess, which one would you be?

Merida; she’s a free spirit.

Is there anything that’s still on your Kenyon Bucket List?

I’d like to climb to the top of Peirce tower or get on the roof of a building. Or KAC 237 sleepover with the Ballroom Team. That would be another one.

What will you miss most about Kenyon?

I’ll miss everything that I do, but I’ll mostly the people. The people I’ve met during my time at Kenyon are very passionate, intelligent people, and I don’t know what I’m going to do without them. I can’t think of another place where I’ve ever been where such a large chunk of the populace wants to engage you on a personal and intellectual level. I don’t think that’s something I’ll find other places.

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.