Campus Celebrity: Sarah White ’16

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

You might already know Sarah White from seeing her in concert with one of the two accapella groups she’s in or from her roles in plays for Renegade and Stage Femmes, among others. If you don’t know her yet, however, then today’s your lucky day! We got to sit down with Sarah and ask her a few questions. Read on to get to know this Kenyon starlet a little better:

Full Name: Sarah Grace White
Year: Sophomore
Major: Drama
Hometown: Los Angeles
Activities: Owl Creeks, Stairwells, various plays

HCK: You’re involved in two accapella groups on campus, and it seems like you’re constantly performing in a different play. I know you’re also an amateur songwriter of sorts. How long have you been singing and acting?

SW: I’ve been singing since I decided that playing the recorder in 3rd grade was really just not for me. I started acting in middle school as the tallest munchkin in “Wizard of Oz.”  I continued theater in high school and also started learning piano and guitar. I started songwriting and working on music production towards the end of high school.

What’s something not many people at Kenyon know about you?
Well, I went to an all girls high school and being tall and “into drama,” I played mostly men in all of our school plays. Once I had to glue sideburns on my face to play Mr. Darcy—it was cool I have pictures.

What’s your favorite class you’ve taken at Kenyon?
I’m in Intro to Cultural Anth right now with Dave Suggs, which is great. He knows what is up.

What’s your favorite movie?
I love American Beauty and The Big Chill for their crazy good soundtracks. I also feel strongly about Talledega Nights. 

If you could only listen to 5 songs for the rest of your life what would they be?
Whoa that is so difficult! Ok, well, perhaps this lineup:

• California – Joni Mitchell. That golden state!
  • Sweet Thing – Van Morrison. He’s my favorite.
  • For a Dancer – Jackson Brown. He’s my favorite too. These lyrics are crazy pretty.
  • Holland – Sufjan Stevens. Or just the entirety of his work he’s so smart, like a genius.
  • Tell Me Why – Neil Young. Nuff said.
  • Acid Tongue – Jenny Lewis. My girl.
  • Hard to Find – The National. They might be my favorite band so I gotta put that on there.

That was 7 which is close to 5….but plus 2 more.

What’s your spirit animal?
I’ve been told both giraffe and llama it probably depends on my mood and what color shirt I’m wearing.

What would be the title of your autobiography?
Memoirs of a Geisha. I think.

How do you feel about the royal baby? Do you still care?
Absolutely! I can’t wait to meet it when the fam visits Kenyon in the spring!

If your life had a theme song what would it be?
Anything by Hall & Oates—they really just get me.

What’s on your Kenyon bucket list?
I don’t know! Apple picking? More BFEC? Climbing the Old Kenyon tower? There are so many fun activities to take advantage of at Kenyon.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.