A Beginner’s Guide to Natural Makeup

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

After coming back from break, I began to go through all of my old makeup. I started to read some of the ingredients… only to realize I couldn’t pronounce half of them (never a good sign). As a growing young woman, I thought it was time to transition to makeup that would not damage my skin. The point of makeup was to smooth over my skin, not harm my health later on in life. As soon as I decided to throw away my makeup, I realized that now I had to choose… what makeup would be the best for me? Especially if I can’t throw down $45.00 on foundation.
Deciding upon the best and worst products for my skin has been a difficult process. I like to treat myself with manicures and ruby red lipsticks, but that doesn’t mean I want to risk a miscarriage or increase my chances of getting cancer. Although chemicals from my makeup could damage my health, I was not ready to give up pampering myself. I took a trip to Columbus, Ohio, to visit one of the most natural places that I know: Whole Foods. I spoke with the beauty consultant to understand why natural makeup was a key to a healthier life. The main reason that replacing chemical laden makeup with more natural solutions is so important is because natural makeup does not contain harmful chemicals which can damage our health with long time use.
Some of the key chemicals to watch out for are: lead, mercury, toluene, parabens, and even formaldehyde. Did you know formaldehyde is meant to preserve dead bodies?And you could be using it in nail polish or a hair straightener? Facts like these make you want to take a second look at your makeup cabinet. Here are a few things to keep in mind on your next makeup run:

1. Lead in lipsticks: This has been a pretty big deal in the past few years. The FDA tested all of the lipsticks to determine what brands have the worst/none traces of lead. Such brands as Avon, Clinique, The Body Shop, and MAC dodged a bullet. L’Oreal and Maybelline are two of the highest lead-containing brands—each sell five lipsticks with high levels of this nasty chemical.
  2. Toluene in nail polishes: I had never been concerned with what was in my nail polish until I read that repeated use of toluene could lead to long-lasting headaches, miscarriages, and even brain damage in a developing fetus.
  3. Parabens: These are a preservative to block out any harmful bacteria or fungi in your makeup. However, Parabens can mock the hormone estrogen and have been found to lead to breast cancer. They can also affect a growing baby when you’re pregnant. They have been known to alter testosterone levels in a male fetus.These are just three of the deadly chemicals. Some of the recommended natural makeups are the way to go. Even though they force you to cough up a few extra dollars (the most expensive eyeliner at Whole Foods was a $29.99 pencil from Dr. Hauschka), they aid your health and your body over time. While researching, I found a really great website for all other natural makeup questions which you can check out here. On this website, I found tips on how to buy the right makeup from me. There is anything from the right mascara to lipstick.

After my visit with Jenny, the beauty consultant at Whole Foods, I decided to do some research to find five essential items to start out with when “converting” to natural makeup:

Starting from the foundation: bareMinerals Matte SPF 15 foundation ($27.00) It’s a little expensive, but it works with my skin perfectly Also, my skin is super sensitive and this foundation does not break out my skin!

The other foundation I have heard great things about is Mineral Hygienics ($25.00).

Eyeliner: I would also go with bareMinerals, it glides right on. Also, there are so many different colors! I love it!($15.00)

Lips: For lipstick, I fell in love with the Gabriel collection (also because it’s gluten free– and I’m a Celiac!) Their colors are insanely vibrant. This lipstick is worth the few extra bucks, and it’ll last a lifetime. ($16.75)

For a lip balm I go with the classic Burt’s Bees. There was a little controversy a while ago about them not being “all natural” because they had one lip shimmer with the minimal amount of lead. However, any one of their lip balm/lip glosses are great to keep your lips moisturized without worrying about chemicals! ($3.00-$7.00)

Sara is a senior English major, Art History minor, and Women's and Gender studies concentrator at Kenyon College. She was born and raised in Manhattan and never dreamed she would attend college surrounded by cornfields. She has spent two summers as an editorial intern at ELLE Magazine. She always has a magazine (or three) with her. She loves her role as Kenyon's Campus Correspondent!