Anticipating John Green as a ‘Non-Nerdfighter”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Lauded New York Times Bestseller and Video Blogger, John Green is coming to Kenyon; if you hadn’t already known this, you certainly do now, thanks to the deluge of emails. Tickets for the event were only available during a 3-hour time slot and instructions for the book signing include “No inscriptions; John will be doing signatures only.” Green is, for better or worse, famous. He’s recognized nationwide as the guy who made everyone cry with The Fault in Our Stars, and will be crowded into Rosse with the rest of those who attend the talk on February 10th.

It all sounds like a very big deal, yet many students still seem to have mixed feelings. Not all of us are Nerdfighters (a term coined from the Video Blog created by John and his brother, Hank), some haven’t so much as touched one of his books, and others have simply tired of all the hype surrounding the alum.

Though his books and quotations make up the entirety of some tween girls’ bookshelves and Tumblrs, we still might have something to gain from his insight. Whether or not you are a hardcore fan, consider these reasons before attending or abstaining from the event:

1. This is a Huge OpportunityOne of the great things about coming to college is having access to all of the amazing people the school invites. The urgency to see him might not be clear now, but when the film for The Fault in the Stars comes out, you’ll be glad you got to see the man behind it. 

2. He Actually Went HereBefore the awards, ceremonies, start-ups, and novels, John Green was, after all, a Kenyon student. He knows what it was like to go here. Looking back, he might even have a few words of advice to help you make it through.

3. It’s a Chance to Hear a Well-Known Author SpeakAt the very least, go to listen to the words of a fascinating person. He’s a writer who has decided to speak to the Kenyon community regarding“Thoughts on How to Make Things and Why.” How could that possibly be a waste of your time?

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.