From Andy Samberg to Sleepy Hollow: A Guide to Fall TV

You’ve settled into your new room, given up on your resolution to get up early and eat breakfast this year, and are already sick of running your highlighters dry trying to keep yourself focused on your reading. It’s that time of year again.

The first official day of Fall is just around the corner, though and the leaves are starting to turn. You know what that means: a whole new means of procrastination is right around the corner.  An entirely new crop of TV shows begins any minute now. Read on if you, like me, can’t decide where to start.

1. If you liked The Wonder Years, you should watch The Goldbergs
Starring Wendi McLendon-Covey as a big-haired, big-mouthed mother struggling to keep her cool, The Goldbergs takes us back to the 80s. Despite being narrated with a little less nostalgic charm than the aforementioned Wonder Years, The Goldbergs leans on the comedic timing of TV Dad Jeff Garlin. Garlin, of Daddy Day Care fame, hilariously tackles milestone moments like teaching his son to drive, blasting the radio, and belting his heart out. When Mom and Dad need a break, they ship the kids over to Grandpa’s house, where they learn about life’s harsh realities from their frank but sweet grandfather (George Segal). The kids, played by Sean Giambrone, Troy Gentile, and Hayley Orrantia, remind us that slamming doors and wriggling out of Christmas sweaters is timeless, though the show is as firmly rooted in the 1980s as legwarmers. The Goldbergs premieres September 24 on ABC and airs Tuesdays at 9.

2. If you like Once Upon A Time, you should watch Sleepy Hollow
Based on The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and mirroring the fairy-tale-time-warp trope of Once Upon A Time and its new spin-off Once Upon A Time In Wonderland, Sleepy Hollow begins when Ichabod Crane, played by Tom Mison (Salmon Fishing in the Yemen), finds himself transported to 2013. The Headless Horseman follows Crane from fairly tale to future, and what comes next is a flurry of folk story characters meeting the modern day criminal justice system. As the Horseman continues a murderous rampage, Mison’s Crane meets Detective Abbie Mills (Nicole Beharie), and, if Sleepy Hollow is as Once… as it seems, I’m predicting a love affair before you can say ‘and they all lived happily ever after.’ Sleepy Hollow premieres September 16 on FOX and airs Mondays at 9.

3. If you like Revenge and Scandal, you should watch Betrayal
If your idea of unwinding on a Sunday night includes cold-blooded murder and forbidden sex, Betrayal is just what you’re looking for. It chronicles the budding romance between Sara Hanley (Hannah Ware) and Jack McAllister, (Stuart Townsend) which seems innocent enough. The catch is that both Sara and Jack are married. Plot twist! The two, who conveniently travel in high-powered (and often political) circles, face another roadblock when someone they know is murdered. Curious to watch it unravel? Betrayal premieres September 29 on ABC and airs Sundays at 10.