Albums Worth Listening to The Whole Way Through

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Usually when I listen to music, I have the tendency to pick out a few songs by a favorite artist and keep moving. With some exceptions, I rarely become obsessed with the entire discography of a certain artist. However, I have found that there are certain albums I have been listening to lately that deserve a complete listen. Whether it is because the songs are cohesive and complement one another or because I just love all of them, they are truly worth listening to the whole way through.

Light Upon the Lake by Whitney

This album has been my favorite of the past few months. I usually listen to it fully as it acts as a cohesive whole and I couldn’t possibly choose a favorite song from the album, as they all compliment each other so well. It features a surprising combination of guitar and brass. Although all of the lyrics are about mourning a past relationship, I still find it to be quite romantic.

Excellent for: A long road trip on winding highways, such as driving back and forth to Kenyon. Also wonderful for being contemplative and working alone.

saintmotelevision by Saint Motel

I was a big fan of Saint Motel’s earlier albums, but I most of my favorite songs of theirs have come off of their new album, saintmotelevision. Their latest music is a combination of the upbeat and the absurd, with strange lyrics complemented by catchy tunes or riffs. My favorite off the new album is the amusingly named “Local Long Distance Relationship (LA2NY).”

Excellent for: An upbeat Saturday night hangout with friends.

No No No by Beirut

Like many of their other albums, this latest album by Beirut is a combination of more traditional folk music and brass instruments. I truly enjoyed all of the tracks on this album, unlike some of their other albums in which I have cherry picked my favorites. The songs are both sunny and folksy with wonderful melodies.

Excellent for: Sitting outside on a warm fall day.

Submarine by Alex Turner

This album is a soundtrack by Alex Turner of Arctic Monkeys for the movie Submarine (an excellent film as well). The songs are certainly quieter and more thoughtful than his work with Arctic Monkeys, so this solo album is contemplative look at young love, as shown in the movie. The album is worth listening to as a whole as many of the musical themes are repeated throughout.

Excellent for: Walking outside on a cold winter day.

Modern Vampires of the City by Vampire Weekend

I may be biased in including this album, as Vampire Weekend is my alltime favorite band, but I truly think this album is a perfect compilation. It has upbeat tracks (“Finger Back,” “Diane Young”) but also slower, more melodic tunes (“Hudson,” “Young Lion”). This album is worth listening to as a whole because the arrangement of the songs is carefully chosen by the band and provides a lot of movement in the transitions. Essentially, Ezra Koenig is a god.

Excellent for: ANYTIME.

Honorable Mentions:

AM by Arctic Monkeys

Excellent for: Being angsty alone or partying with friends.

Spreading Rumors by Grouplove

Excellent for: Road trips or random dance parties.

2.0 by Big Data

Excellent for: Staying motivated while doing homework.

Built on Glass by Chet Faker

Excellent for: Journaling or creative writing.

There are also several other merits to listening to an album fully. Listening to a complete album is a good exercise in self control and can beneficial in practicing seeing things through to the finish. So whether you’re in the mood for music to dance to, or to keep you company when you’re alone, or to listen to on a road trip, these are albums that can provide the soundtrack to your experience.

Image Credit: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Class of 2017 at Kenyon College. English major, Music and Math double minor. Hobbies: Reading, Writing, Accidentally singing in public, Eating avocados, Adventure, and Star Wars.