This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Recently, I’ve asked both Kenyon students and professors to comment on the albums that have changed their life or that they truly love. Unfairly, I asked this question without really having an answer of my own. So, I sat down and really thought about it. What albums do I really love? I tried to stay away from “Greatest Hits” albums because there are just too many good ones (Essential Ella comes to mind…). Here, I list albums I have listened to many times and in which I enjoy every single track. I hope you enjoy this list!

All the Lost Souls – James Blunt

This is the first CD I ever bought. It cost me $1 in the bin at Dollar Tree and I treasured that disc for all it was worth. The album itself got some pretty terrible reviews, and I guess the general reception of the album was exemplified in its being sold for a handful of coins. Regardless, I really loved this album. I still love it. Same Mistake was my favorite track, one of the songs I really truly learned on guitar. I listened to this CD every single day in its entirety for long periods of time, and it honestly got me through some pretty tough days. The best part of the album is that, even now, when I’m really down, if I turn it on, I just feel like someone out there gets me. That somehow, everything will be all right.

Illinois/Sufjan Stevens Invites You To: Come On Feel the Illinoise – Sufjan Stevens

I often credit Illinois with completely changing my taste in music. The first time I ever heard Sufjan was around a campfire, and my crush at the time played Chicago on his acoustic guitar. Naturally, I looked up the song the next day and I was hooked. I feel like no other song will ever get me like Chicago does, and no album will ever make me feel quite the same way.

Dr Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog – Original Cast Recording

I first watched Dr. Horrible when I visited my brother at college. It was in a tiny dorm room and I promised myself I’d never live in a room like that (flash forward a few years and here I am….) Anyway, the soundtrack is the best 24 minutes of your life. My brother and I know all the words to every song, and it’s a go-to when we’re in the car together.

Paper Airplane – Alison Krauss & Union Station

My family hosts a vast range of musical tastes, but Alison Krauss is one of the few artists we can all agree on. It’s also one of the few concerts we have all attended together, and one of the few albums we can all sing along to. Besides being genuinely fantastic artists, there’s such a universally ageless feeling about their music.

Songs for a Sinking Ship – April Smith & The Great Picture Show

One of the greatest tragedies in this life is that this album, released in 2010, is the most recent album from this band. I don’t really have a personal story of connection to the album, I just genuinely love each and every track. I’ve also been listening to it for a long time. Also, the song Colors was used on a Lowes commercial, which is how I discovered the band. Also, the track Beloved really gets to me.

State Fair (1945)  – Richard Rogers, Oscar Hammerstein II

This has been my favorite musical for a while. I will burst into any one of the songs if I see fit. You’ve been warned. It Might As Well Be Spring is a particular favorite of mine.

It’s Not Me, It’s You – Lily Allen

This is another album that got me through my teenage years. Lily is phenomenal, and insanely honest. That’s what really gets me about this album, and Lily’s work in general: it has a message or a story. She doesn’t just sing to sing or for the beauty of it.

Who’s Feeling Young Now? – Punch Brothers

Most of my friends know, I’m been pretty into Punch Brothers, increasingly so in the past year and a half or so. They’re honestly my favorite band at the moment, and they don’t have a song that I dislike, so it’s a real challenge to pick just one album. However, the one I’ve chosen is full of firsts for me: Don’t Get Married Without Me was the first Punch Brothers song I really loved, and Movement and Location was the first one I ever played on my radio show. Also, This Girl is one of my favorite love songs of all time.

What We Saw From the Cheap Seats – Regina Spektor

Regina Spektor was my favorite artist through most of High School, and this is my favorite album of hers. Small Town Moon sums up a lot about how I feel in regards to growing up, family, and, to some extent, Kenyon. Fun Fact: My cello is named after the second track on the album, Oh Marcello.

Electra Heart – Marina & The Diamonds

It’s pretty hard to decide, but I place “Electra Heart on this list as my favorite concept album. Really great stuff here. Lies makes me cry, every single time.

Honorable Mentions:

All Things Bright and Beautiful – Owl City

I went to a concert for the album tour, the first one I went to without my parents.

Little Shop of Horrors – UK Cast Recording

This album is always playing on repeat in the back of my head.

Hozier – Hozier

I just really like every song on this album.

Wanted on Voyage – George Ezra

If you like Budapest, please listen to the rest of the album.

The Goat Rodeo Sessions – Edgar Meyer, Stuart Duncan, Chris Thile, and Yo-Yo Ma

Yo-Yo Ma and Chris Thile in the same album?! Need I say more? Shoutout to my brother for suggesting this to me.

And those are my favorite albums! Be sure to leave your own recommendations in the comment section below.

Image credits: Giphy.com, Tumblr.com

Reagan Neviska is a senior at Kenyon College where she studies Anthropology and Music. She is an active member of her coed Greek service organization, The Archon Society, as well as the president of Gospel Choir, a Her Campus Chapter Writer, and a member of the Symphonic Wind Ensemble, where she plays percussion. Reagan's interests include reading, practicing and listening to music, playing with dogs (her family has four!) and watching Downton Abbey.  You can follow her on Twitter and Instagram @Reagaroni.