david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

9 Spooky Drinks for Your Halloween Pregame

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Personally, I could not imagine life without Halloween, because the most epic parties happen during the autumn days of late October on college campuses around the nation. Once you’ve secured an amazing  costume (hopefully something other than a black cat), decorated your room with a Jack-O-Lantern and black and orange streamers, and found the best bite-sized candy selection you could ask for, there’s only one thing left to do: plan your Halloween pregame. This year, challenge yourself to surprise your guests with some new, exciting, and “eerie” Halloween drinks. I found 10 recipes for drinks to take your party from snooze-fest to spook-tacular. All of them have varying levels of difficulty and some may take more time to create than others, so go through them all to see how your bartending expertise applies:

1. Ghostly Spirits Can be nonalcoholic and made into a delicious milkshake if you add white chocolate chips to it or a small amount of frozen fruit!
  2. Black Widow’s Raspberry Martini Who knew there was such a thing as black vodka? You would have to special order it, but how. cool. is. that?! Need I say more?
  3. Candy Corn Cordials This drink is a little bit more complicated than the candy corn martini, but the topping makes it extra delicious.
  4. Candy Corn Jello Shots If using orange peels is too much work, use clear plastic cups to make the candy corn show through!
  5. Milk Chocolate Mud Cups with Vodka Soaked Gummies I would suggest using gummy bears because gummy worms become deformed once soaked in vodka.
  6. Pumpkin Pie Milkshake Just add Bourbon if you want the extra kick.
  7. Glowing Severed Hand Halloween Punch For us college students, tangerine vodka/regular vodka will do. Also it seriously looks like hands are in the drink. This take a little bit more effort, but it can double as both a decoration and a beverage!
  8. Smoking Cauldron Punch This cool drink uses dry ice for an amazing smoke effect.
  9. Candy Corn Martini with Pop Rocks A pretty simple drink, all you need is a little time and your favorite childhood candy.

So, get excited for Halloween and good luck picking and “brewing” your favorite potion! *Note: HCK recommends these drinks only to people of the legal drinking age!*

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.