Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Money 29 micheile henderson ZVprbBmT8QA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

The 8 Best Winter Purchases for College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

Before moving to Gambier, Ohio, I lived in Buffalo, New York. If you’ve heard of Buffalo, you probably know that our winters are pretty rough. As a seasoned snowbunny, I consider it my duty to share my knowledge with those who are unaccustomed to the weather. The following are what I consider to be the best purchases to help you get through the winter.

1. A Plant

I’ve already discussed the countless benefits of keeping plants in your dorm, but in case you forgot, they’ll help filter toxins out of stuffy dorm room air, and there’s no better way to bring nature inside during the winter months! Also, they’re cheap. Also, they’re cute. And awesome. I’m still on it. Buy a plant.

2. A Heated Blanket

Last June, my Aunt Joan (the same one who gave me my tool box) gifted me a heated blanket, something one cannot fully appreciate in the summer but cannot help but fall in love with amidst an Ohio winter. I have this one which is fuzzy and has an adjustable temperature (it also ships for free from Target!) and I would highly recommend it. Whether you want to crack the window to let in some fresh air or you’re just really, really cold, this is a purchase you couldn’t possibly regret. Just read the directions extra carefully before washing it or getting it wet — electrocution is best avoided.

Everyone should be as toasty as these little bunnies look!

3. An Ice Cube Tray

Not having access to ice cubes is probably a concern that never once crossed your mind, until you came to college and your constant access to them was GONE. Yes, ice cubes are great for making a lukewarm drink more refreshing, but even more importantly (for the winter months, at least) they can be used to quickly cool down a blazing beverage or broth. If you need your tea now but you don’t want a third degree burn on your tongue, or the soup you just made is so hot it feels dangerous to touch the bowl (in which case, you should double check that it’s microwave safe), you’ll be immensely thankful that you have a nice little tray of ice cubes in your freezer!

4. A Single-Serve Keurig

Having a Single-Serve Keurig (or a bigger one, if you have the space) is great for the obvious reason of not having to leave your room for coffee, but it’s also great for instant hot water for making tea, Ramen, or filling a hot water bottle. Convenience is key in these cold winter months.

5. A Swell Bottle

Initially, I thought that these were an overpriced fad, but my sister got me one as a birthday present and I’m obsessed. Other travel mugs don’t keep things hot when in this cold weather, but these babies keep your drink at the ideal temperature without leaking steam, condensing or spilling. Alas, your coffee/tea/hot chocolate/chai latte/mulled wine/other hot beverage of choice will still be warm when you reach the library!

6. Cashmere Anything

I know, cashmere costs too many dollars for something that isn’t even that thick and therefore isn’t that warm, right? WRONG. Cashmere is up to 8 times warmer than sheep’s wool, it doesn’t wrinkle or pill and it lasts forever. No sweater, scarf, hat, or mittens will keep you this toasty or last this long.

7. Fleece-Lined Everything Else

Chances are, most college students cannot afford to buy #allcashmereeverything, and that’s okay! Fleece-lined apparel and accessories can help keep you just as warm. If you can get it fleece-lined, buy it fleece-lined — I personally have fleece-lined tights, gloves, and leggings, and my legs and fingers couldn’t be warmer! A friend of mine also has flannel-lined pants, and he says those are awesome, too.

8. Cold-EEZE

Truism: college is the greatest of all germ-havens. I can guarantee you almost anything you touch is infested with disease-causing germs (maybe not… but pretty darn close). Cold-EEZE is a total life-saver when everyone around you is sick. They contain zinc, which can help to shorten the duration of a cold when taken within 24 hours of its onset. Around 75mg a day (3-4 lozenges) taken while your cold lasts will help immensely. Luckily, Her Campus National sends them to us a few times a year to help keep our writers healthy! Just don’t take too many, because too much zinc can depress your immune system.

I hope some of these can help you get through these bitter months. Merry online shopping!

Image credits: ecouterre, starbucks.nda.net, dailybunny.com

Hannah Joan

Kenyon '18

Hannah is one of the Campus Coordinators for Her Campus Kenyon. She is a Buffalo native and plant enthusiast studying English and Women's and Gender Studies as a junior at Kenyon College.