7 Foods to Hold You Over ‘Til the Holidays

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

We have finally arrived at the beloved Thanksgiving break: A time when we return to wherever we came from, try to relax a little before finals, and stuff our faces at Thanksgiving dinner. After Thanksgiving break is over, however, we’ll return to Kenyon craving the flavors of the holidays, like pumpkin pie and other homemade treats that we leave behind for a few weeks. The holidays are so close we can almost touch them; after all, in the past two weeks we’ve already had snow and we’re sure to get more! I am here to help you guys out with a a few holiday recipes that you can make at Kenyon in between Thanksgiving break and Winter break to distract myself from all the chaos:

1. Hot cocoa with marshmallows: This one’s easy. Grab a mug, grab some hot chocolate mix (snag a few from Peirce if you have to), and a bag of giant marshmallows and your heart will be singing with happiness. And if you’re in Peirce and you want something with a little caffeine to get you through the busy day, simply pour a packet of hot cocoa into your coffee for a quick “mocha.”

2. Peppermint Brownies: these are so easy to make and full of holiday deliciousness. Though I make mine from scratch, it’s easy to make from a mix also. First, buy some peppermint bark and freeze it.  After preparing your favorite brownie mix from the box instructions, add the frozen peppermint bark between two layers of batter and bake: within 20 minutes you’ll have yourself a little bit of peppermint heaven.

3. “Melt in Your Mouth Chicken”: I decided to put a savory item on here, because I know everyone is always on the lookout for an easy dinner recipe when Ramen noodles just aren’t cutting it. When Peirce isn’t quite living up to your expectations, this is the easiest and tastiest chicken dish that I know and you can make it with minimal ingredients and in any dorm/apartment kitchen. I vow by this chef, she’s pretty amazing and will never let you down.

4. Monster Cookies: They take ten minutes to make, but when you’re done you won’t want to share. They’re easy, and you’ll enjoy a little snack after a hard day.

5. Nutella Hot chocolate: When it’s one of those days, and regular hot cocoa isn’t doing it, go ahead. Mix some Nutella into your warm drink for a little extra cheer.

6. Rice Krispie Treats: Whether homemade or store-bought, these were a staple holiday treat at my school growing up.

7. If all else fails, indulge in some much-needed sleep. If food can’t fulfill your holiday desires or ease your woes then it seems like you might need a good, festive nap.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.