books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

6 Fantastic Book Recommendations

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I have a theory that you will live until all the books on your shelves are read, and if that is true, I will live forever because I have a long reading list. Here are a few recommendations to add to your to-read list so that you can always have books on your shelves.

1. Crush by Richard Siken

As an aspiring poet, I am prone to recommend poetry books (but on this list there are only two). However, before you write this off as something you’ll never read, buy the book and don’t judge it on the fact that it is, in fact, poetry. I have a friend who read this collection and said, “I never knew poetry could make me feel this way.” I’m not going to lie, Richard Siken has the ability to show you his heart and point to the parts that have been stomped into little tiny bits, and then he’ll give you the ability to show him your heart. It can sometimes be painful, it can sometimes be sad, but this collection is so worth it. He is vulnerable, and he is beautiful. He writes the kind of poetry that is understandable to most, but you’ll still be thinking about his words for days.

2. The Things They Carried by Tim O’Brien

You might have read “How To Tell A True War Story” in one literature class or another, which is an essay from this book. In my personal opinion, that isn’t even the best part of this book. This book follows many characters and soldiers in Vietnam. Instead of chapters that are connected, the book is compiled of short stories about the war, but they are connected in the beauty of prose and wonderful storytelling. O’Brien is an accomplished writer with many books and novels – I suggest following this book up with If I Die in a Combat Zone (Box Me Up and Ship me Home), but I digress. Don’t let the darkness of war turn you away from this book; while it is sad, I highly recommend this one over a cup of your favorite tea and cookies.

3. The Shining by Stephen King

Ah, The Shining. You’ve probably seen this movie – I mean it’s a classic horror film, with Jack Nicholson, and the famous line, “Here’s Johnny!” It’s a great movie. However, the book is much better. I mean, come on, it’s Stephen King. Here’s a brief synopsis if you’re not convinced this book is for you: Jack Torrance becomes the winter caretaker of the fictional Overlook Hotel. Jack is an aspiring writer (aren’t we all), a recovering alcoholic with an angry streak, who had once accidentally broken his son’s arm on a past binge. The Overlook Hotel becomes very isolated in the winter because of snow, and can therefore be a very constricting, lonely place. Jack’s son, Danny, begins having visions of ghosts, but tells neither his father nor mother. The apparitions begin to take form, and Jack begins to feel the isolation of The Overlook… That’s where I’ll leave the synopsis. Now, if it’s the horror aspect of the book you’re worried about, I understand, as I am not a horror person. My suggestion for reading this novel, because it is a must, is to read in the daytime, and finish off your day with a happy episode of your favorite comedy or a good family dinner to brighten your mood.

4. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

This novel has become essential to every reading list I have ever had and will ever have. If I have a free moment, I’ll read a chapter of this novel until it’s finished. No shame, I’ve read this novel 4 times, and counting. Fahrenheit 451 is set in a future where books are illegal, and if you have books in your house, the “firemen” burn your whole house down. Our protagonist, Guy Montag, a “fireman” himself, meets a neighbor Clarisse McClellan, who changes his outlook on things. So much so, in fact, that he steals a book, and everything begins to change for him. Outside of Bradbury’s amazing prose, I am able to enjoy this book as a pure novel, and as a novel that is commenting on social problems we still face today. What those problems are… well, no spoilers.

5. Live for a Living by Buddy Wakefield

Buddy Wakefield is a slam poet – wait don’t skip this recommendation yet! His poems range from hilarious to giving you ‘whoa’ moments every few lines. This book is infused with some of his blog posts and follows some interesting storylines from his life. While I was tempted to skip these, they ended up adding a really interesting factor into the collection of poetry. This collection is named for a line of Wakefields: “Let’s pretend for just this minute that we all live for a living.” I don’t know if it’s just me, but that’s a pretty cool concept to think about. I’ve seen Buddy Wakefield perform, I’ve taken a picture with him (poetry fan girl moment), and he has made me cry publicly – something I never do. Just try these poems out. I promise you won’t regret it.

6. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathon Safran Foer

You’ve probably heard of this novel. It’s pretty incredible, pretty famous, and also a movie. Don’t watch the movie. Please. This isn’t literature snob-me – this is me-me, actually begging you to read this book and not just watch the movie instead. The movie, I assume (because I haven’t seen it), wouldn’t be able to really capture the essence of the novel. It’s based around the aftermath of 9/11 for a young boy and his family. There are some chapters, though, from the grandparents’ point of view in the form of letters and diary entries. Also, there are amazing images and ‘edited’ pages in this novel that make the reading of it fast, easy, and somewhat interactive. I read this novel in under a day, if that gives you any indication of how fast and amazing of a read it is.

7. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me (And Other Concerns) by Mindy Kaling

Mindy Kaling is a funny actress. If you’ve ever seen The Mindy Project, you know this. In her book, she writes about everyday things but somehow manages to provide life lessons through her anecdotes. Her writing is laugh-out-loud funny, and she writes about normal insecurities and thoughts. This is a nice light read to even out all of the dark stories I just recommended for you all. I like books that provide me with something that I can enjoy on the surface and then go deeper into, however this book can be enjoyed with a constant smile and doesn’t require any deep analyzing. Just enjoy it – simple as that.

Read these books over Thanksgiving Break or Winter Break. Take them to your snowy home or your sunny vacation. Read them, love them, hate them, sleep with them under your pillow. Let me know what you think; I’m always interested in what other people think about my beloved must-reads.