6 Do-It-Yourself Kenyon Pets

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

This past September, I somehow acquired a spiky green caterpillar which, upon discovery, I immediately placed in a plastic container filled with the usual caterpillar fare (e.g. leaves and rocks). Not long after this, the caterpillar –– having apparently eaten its fill and made some sort of important life decision –– wove a cocoon and proceeded to not move for several months. Understandably, I and those around me who were also familiar with the caterpillar/amorphous cocoon creature were convinced it had simply forgotten to turn into something slightly more airborne and had probably died. but –– lo and behold –– just two weeks ago, the once-was caterpillar emerged from the cocoon (in a container I had nearly forgotten about) as a beautiful and terrifyingly large Io Moth, such as the specimen exemplified below:

Thus, in wake of the passing of said moth (as it turns out, most adult moths rarely live longer than a week or so), I present to you a helpful list of DIY Kenyon pets because, sometimes, a Housing-and-Res-Life-approved fish just doesn’t cut it.

1. Pet Rock

To start off nice and easy, pet rocks have a mild temperament, are easily house-trained, and, best of all, bio-degradable. They’re also what you’re left with when you can neither remember to feed a fish nor water a plant, but still want to take care of something.

2. Plants

Plants are a great way to have something alive and fun to look at, but which doesn’t actually require a lot of maintenance (see also: cacti). You can pick up a plant from the Biology Greenhouse or, when it’s warmer, from the kind lady who sells them on Middle Path.

3. Sea Monkeys

These are a little more difficult than plants, but also look pretty on the windowsill. You can order sea monkeys separately and create your own tank, or you can buy the whole shebang (tank, eggs, food) together. Just add water!

4. Ant Farm

Just don’t tell your roommate. Until they escape, that is.

5. Tadpoles

In the spring, you can find swarms of tadpoles in some parts of the Kokosing and in the BFEC ponds. Though you probably shouldn’t actually take these home with you, they’re pretty adorable and easy to catch –– if you have a net and a clear container, you can see them starting to grow into frogs!

6. Wandering, Lost Prospies

…Just kidding. Maybe.

Anyway, be sure to treat whatever you take in with respect, and eventually let it go! Valentines Day is coming up as well, so don’t be afraid to get creative.

Abigail Roberts is a senior English/Creative Writing major at Kenyon College. When she's not writing, she's wasting away on Netflix, voting, or being weird about Victorian literature.