5 Valentine’s Day Desserts

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As a single lady, I’ll be channeling my inner Beyonce on the famous day of hearts and chocolate. Because, why would I let something like Valentine’s Day keep me down, especially when I have the world of chocolate on my side?

Food is probably the best band-aid for any heart break. Even if you’re happy and in a relationship, food always makes any date better. As I was figuring out what I should make for this day, I found recipes for some of my favorite desserts (all quick and easy for the most part) that can add an extra boost to this fabulous day. I don’t want to see any ladies out there who are down just because they don’t have someone handing them chocolates that taste like plastic. So, here are some treats for the single and hitched alike:

1) Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches- Put heart shaped sprinkles around the edges of these to make it the perfect sandwich

2) Chocolate-Chip Peanut Butter Cheesecake BallThis is great for a group of people. Aka, if you’re having a group date night or a day of luxury with your friends, whip this treat up really quickly, turn on Bridget Jones’ Diary and voila!

3) Nutella Peanut Butter Rice Krispie TreatsThis is just a twist on the traditional Rice Krispie Treat. And let’s be real- a recipe isn’t great unless it calls for Nutella.

4) Turtle Thumbprint CookiesThese take a little bit more time but they are great for a dessert for a group of people. If you want to host a little get together for Valentine’s Day, this is the dessert for you. Plus, caramel is always delicious.

5) And, finally, when all else fails just fill a cup with Peirce chocolate soft-serve ice cream… because there’s nothing that a little ice cream can’t fix.

Ally Bruschi is a senior political science major at Kenyon College. She spent this past summer interning as a writer with both The Daily Meal, a digital media group  dedicated to "all things food and drink" and The Borgen Project, a non-profit organization that partners with U.S. policymakers to alleviate global poverty. Before entering the "real world" of jobs, however, Ally spent many summers as a counselor at an all-girls summer camp in Vermont, aka the most wonderful place on earth. A good book, a jar of peanut butter, a well-crafted Spotify playlist, and a lazy dog could get her through even the worst of days.