5 Books to Read Before They Hit Theaters

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

I don’t know about you, but when I hear that there is a movie adaptation of a book coming out, I need to read the book first. I like to create the characters in my head before I see them played out on the big screen, and it’s fun to know the plot and what the directors may have “creatively” cut. For all you book and movie-lovers like me, here are 5 movies to see before they hit the silver screen.

1.     Paper Towns – John Green

What it’s about: Margo Roth Spiegelman has been the object of Quentin’s affections for almost his entire life. One night Margo invites Q to partake in a nightly escapade,               getting revenge on those who’ve wronged them. Then, in the morning Margo disappears. However, Margo leaves clues to her whereabouts; clues for Q. 

Starring: Nat Wolff and Cara Delevingne

Barnes & Noble rating: 4.5 / 5

Release date: movie release date June 19, 2015

2.     Pan – J.M. Barrie

What it’s about: A little orphan boy gets spirited away to Neverland. In this magical place he discovers fun, fantasy, and danger along with his destiny. This is the story of the boy who becomes Peter Pan.

Starring: Hugh Jackman, Rooney Mara, and Amanda Seyfried

Barnes & Noble rating: 4 / 5

Release date July 17, 2015

3.     The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend – Kody Keplinger

What it’s about: Bianca may not be the prettiest girl in high school, but she has a group of loyal friends. However, when she finds out that her friends consider her the DUFF of her friend group, she revolts. Bianca then finds herself in a relationship she did not expect or particularly want.

Starring: Mae Whitman, Robbie Amell, and Bella Thorne

Barnes & Noble rating: N/A

Release date: February 19, 2015

4.     Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail – Cheryl Strayed

What it’s about: Wild is Cheryl Strayed’s memoir about how she hiked over 1,000 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail alone with no training to recover from traumatic events in her life. Her mother died of cancer, she was separated from her husband, and was also battling addiction when she made this amazing hike across multiple states to find what she had lost.

Starring: Reese Witherspoon

Barnes & Noble: 4 / 5

Release date: December 5, 2014

5.     Cinderella (live-action) – Charles Perrault

What it’s about: Well, it’s Cinderella so I think the entire world knows what it’s about, but just in case, I will give a short summary. Cinderella is about a young girl who is in the care of her evil stepmother and stepsisters after her father’s untimely death. She is treated like a housemaid, and, among other things, is not allowed to attend the ball at the palace. However, with the help of her fairy godmother and some woodland creatures she attends the ball, captivating the prince and loosing her glass slipper in the process. The prince searches high and low for his love, and finally figures out it is Cinderella when her foot fits the glass slipper. They live happily ever after.

(disclaimer: this is the Disney version synopsis. It is unclear whether the movie is using the original version or the Disney version, but for the sake of the viewers, I’m assuming it’s the latter.)

Starring: Lily James, Cate Blanchett, and Helen Bonham Carter

Barnes & Noble rating: N/A

Release date: March 13, 2015

2015 is going to be a great year for movies. John Green is becoming a Hollywood sensation, and us twenty-somethings are getting a chance to relive our childhoods in live-action. I think we all have some reading to do!