3 Fresh and Upcoming Artists Who Should Be On Your Radar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

To me, music adds meaning to life through the lyrics and beats that artists create. Without it life is dull and soulless. The beats blasting through my speakers are what give my heart that extra push to get through the rough days. As extreme as it sounds, the music that artists create brings a whole new kind of life to the table. The bass acts as a second heartbeat. The guitar’s strings pull at your emotions. The lyrics mirror your thoughts. You might be able to tell by now that finding new music and new artists is a hobby of mine.   Therefore, it is my time to show as many other people as I can about a few of my favorite artists I have found within the past few years.

Mike Stud: This man got a full ride to Duke University for baseball and then discovered that sports were not his only skill. Though his real name is not Mike “Stud” he definitely lives up to the alias. He is one sexy guy (who definitely knows it) with some major rhymes. He came to visit Kenyon College last year–sadly, I was not here yet, but I was told he knew how to rock a crowd. In the past year and a half Mike has released his mixtape, “A Toast to Tommy”, has his own clothing line with Freshletes, and has received over 10 million views on YouTube. With those beautiful blue eyes, built physique, and skill in the studio he is going to be on everyone’s radar in no time.  

Here are a few of my favorites:
Mike Stud ft Kinetics: Bottle It Up Mike Stud ft. Kinetics: Bottle It Up
Mike Stud: Boyfriend (Remix)  Mike Stud: Boyfriend (Remix)
Mike Stud: Perfect for Me
Mike Stud ft. ELEW: One More Night (Maroon 5 Remix)

Huey Mack: Huey is an undergrad at West Virginia University. Huey has a different kind of beat. He is a bit more… direct…with how his fame has affected him. All the girls he gets with and the non-stop partying are represented in his songs.  In the videos below the subjects range from how he will never be tied down and he just wants to f*ck, to a real talk about how suicide and growing up have affected him. His lyrics are forthright and his beats are pretty sick. Recently, he has been opening up to his listeners about tragedies that have affected his life. I love that honesty.

Check out these videos:
Huey Mack: Don’t You Worry Child (Remix)
Huey Mack: Love is Overrated (Schwayze Remix)
Huey Mack ft. Mike Stud: Like That
Huey Mack ft. Vonnegutt: Last Time

Timeflies: They are a duo consisting of Cal Shapiro and Rob Resnick (also known as Rez). These two are from Brooklyn, New York, and are one of the world’s best musical duos. The combination of Cal’s vocals and Rez’s beats produce a music-gasm. Since 2010 they have released   an album, a mixtape, an EP, and started the phenomenon Timeflies Tuesday on YouTube.  “Timeflies Tuesday” started out as freestyle rapping or covers of famous songs.  These fun and amazingly skilled videos helped launch this duo’s career. I saw these two in Cincinnati, Ohio, last February. Cal knows how to freestyle so well that he puts any other rapper or hip-hop artist to shame. Even though he is one damn good looking guy, he doesn’t need his looks with that sensual voice.

Watch these videos, subscribe, and fall in love:
Timeflies: Swoon
Timeflies: Call Me Maybe (Remix)
Timeflies: Alcohol (I’m in the crowd for this one!)
Timeflies: Under the Sea