3 Apps to Keep Your Workouts Interesting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Kenyon chapter.

As someone who loves to workout, I know that sometimes it can be tough to get yourself out of bed on those rainy days when Netflix just came out with a kickass new series. Maybe you’re piled up with homework, or you really just don’t want to walk all the way down to the KAC to get your sweat on. Let me tell you: I feel your pain. I started training for a half marathon – I’m taking a short break now due to a nasty sickness – and there have been days where I had absolutely no motivation to get out and run 5 miles. Thankfully, I was browsing the Apple app store and found three apps that keep my workouts interesting. I hope they help you too!

1. My favorite – especially for running – is Charity Miles. You can walk, run, or bike, and for each mile you do they will donate to a charity of your choice. The app donates 10 cents per mile for biking and 25 cents per mile of running/walking. For example, my dad is a veteran, so for each of my runs I donated my money to the Wounded Warrior Project. But there are so many others charities you can choose, such as ASPCA, Alzheimer’s Association World Wildlife Fund, (RED), and several more. When you think you can’t run that extra mile, you have a small incentive to help keep you going! So far, I’ve raised almost 30 dollars, and that’s just for doing what I want to be doing anyways.

2. Sworkit is my favorite to keep my workouts ever changing. With this app you can work on cardio, strength, yoga/pilates, or stretching. So, if you don’t have a workout routine, it’s like having your own personal trainer. And if you’re super busy there’s a “5 minute workout” routine so you can still keep that six-pack in tact. Go, go, go!

3. If you’re getting bored of the same old running path, Zombies, Run gives you missions and takes you on a fun adventure. You just select how long you want to run and you’re on your own personal The Walking Dead story. As much as I love running on the beautiful Gap Trail, sometimes you need to pretend you’re running from flesh-eating zombies to give your workout that extra oomph. Try this app out during Halloween for that extra adrenaline rush!

All of these are available for both iPhone and Android smartphones. So if you need that extra push- download ‘em! They’ve definitely helped me stay on top of my goals.